Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Meet and Greet Event

Quilters' Meet and Greet Event

2018 Online Quilters' Meet & Greet
For quilter's participating in the 2018 Online Quilters' Meet & Greet and to my loyal readers 😃, welcome.

I'm Andrée G. Faubert. I've been quilting for about 10 years although I've been sewing and embroidering, on and off, since I was a teen.

One of my last woven projects
(still a UFO)



In the early 1990s I started weaving. That was my passion until I learned to quilt. After weaving and making fabric, it was very liberating to walk into a shop and buy fabric that was already made :-)

More than anything else, I'm a learner and a generalist. I love trying new techniques but I get bored rather quickly. I'm also not a perfectionist, especially for things that I feel are "fussy" and complicated. As a teacher and instructional designer, I appreciate that "practice makes better" and have proven that with my free motion quilting. It's one of the few things that I've stuck with long enough to get pretty good at. That's mostly because there is so much to learn that I haven't gotten bored with it yet :-)

When I started quilting, I made some very traditional quilts and runners.

My first blog post in March 2012

My first traditional quilt as well
as my first Quilt-Along
My first FMQ runner,
summer of 2013
There are some of my first quilts.

Once I started quilting, I was hooked. I joined a local quilting guild, learned more techniques and started blogging. Now I enjoy blogging almost as much as quilting.


My first improv quilts were door hangings. The piece below was my first one, although it got FMQ later. I could call them my own design instead of improv, but improv is how I created them since I didn't plan much.
My first improv door quilt - one for every season.




















Then in 2015, I started playing with landscape quilts. I even started my own Landscape Art Quilt Challenge and dove into making different kinds of landscape quilts. I had a blast and learned so much. If I have to choose a point when I started making art quilts, this would be it.

Lone Tree 2 - Tired or Over Achiever?

Clover at Dusk
I loved blog hops, quilt-alongs and any other event that gives me an excuse to create, quilt and post. My all-time favourite event is the semi-annual Art with Fabric Blog Hop hosted by Alida. I've participated in all of Alida's Art with Fabric events and have really enjoyed them. Some quilts were more successful than others - but I learned so much that it was always worth it.

My first Art with Fabric Blog Hop piece -
Light at the end of the tunnel.

Batik hexie for
Kingfisher Stitch-Along
These days, I'm all about making easily pieced quilts, practicing my FMQ on quilts with lots of negative space, making more art quilts and getting back to handwork with embroidery and hexies made using English Paper Piecing (EPP).

Batik lap quilts - my favourite quilts to practice FMQ


My first quilt pattern in Make Modern Magazine, Issue 21.
Hexie runner

My favourite quilt so far...


I made this art quilt for the Art with Fabric Blog Hop of Spring 2018. It's everything I love in a quilt - it's colourful, whimsical, and incorporates lots of FMQ.
Morning has broken
from Art with Fabric, Spring 2018

I'm very glad that you came by to visit. I'm really looking forward to reading the other participants' posts. Why don't you join me? You will find the link to the other participants on the Meet and Greet main page. There are also some great prizes to be won - check it out!

Related Links

Linking Parties
My post will be linked from the Quilters' Meet & Greet main page.  I will also be linking up to many linkup parties. Check them out to see what's happening around the quilting world. Main Crush MondayDesign Wall MondayMoving It Forward MondayTuesday Colour Linky Party, Linky Tuesday, Silly Mama Quilts WIP, Needle & Thread Thursday, Midweek Makers, Let's Bee Social, Finished or Not Friday, Friday Foto Fun, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?,


22 comments:

  1. How fun! I really like what you say about yourself in your profile -- that you're first and foremost a learner. That's the way to be!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how we all seem to start at the same place and then find our own passion within the quilting world. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art quilters have my highest admiration. Yours are beautiful!! Morning Has Broken is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to meet you and your blog. Love your projects. Love your projects. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your history. Off to see more of your amazing art quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour Andrée ! Quel plaisir d'admirer tes magnifiques quilts, et de te connaßtre mieux ! Ton quilting est magnifique, et je suis d'accord avec toi, le FMQ est tellement vaste qu'on n'a pas fini d'en faire le tour !! A bientÎt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful quilts!! Love learning more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andree - your quilt show was lovely!!
    Thanks for sharing and being part of the Quilters Meet & Greet! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt show Andree! I enjoy seeing all your art pieces

    ReplyDelete
  10. your art quilts continue to inspire me! They are just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your art quilts are so pretty. It is so nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to get to know you a bit more through this post Andrée. I always enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to see the progression of your quilts. We were all beginners once! I admire handweaving but don't have the patience for it. Thanks for the tip about the Art With Fabric event. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing art quilts!! Visiting from the Meet and Greet. Quilt alongs are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quilts! I always enjoy looking at other quilters handiwork. It is interesting to see such a variety and the talent portrayed by others. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never been a 'sane' quilter, preferring to work with crazy quilts for the past twenty years. Now I am just entering the realm of landscape quilts and I'm loving them. I really enjoyed seeing your art quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful that you are growing and changing. It's always good to challenge ourselves and I can see that you are doing that. Lovely art quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the idea of being a generalist. It helps you not get stuck in something and learn to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to meet you & see your Awesome quilts! Your landscap quilts are Amazing..Wowie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have some lovely quilts Andree. So nice to meet you and learn more about you and your quilting style. I too will be participating in the art hop next month. There is inspiration to be found every time! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)