Welcome to week 458 of Free Motion Mavericks. While travelling, we were able to go to the McMichael Canadian Art Collection. It's one of my favourite art galleries, located in a beautiful wooded area in the northern part of Toronto. I have a few photos to share as well as some lovely photos taken at the Toronto Zoo, which was open and not busy - my kind of place!
McMichael Canadian Art Collection
We took a tour of their latest exhibition, Conversations. It was very interesting. My daughter took photos of the David Milne (1882-1953) art for me. I love his winter landscapes and one day I want to explore making something like them with textile. I'm sorry that I don't have the correct titles for you.
|A winter landscape by David Milne
|Another winter landscape by David Milne
|A cabin in winter by David Milne
There was also an exhibition on Cobalt, Ontario. Yvonne McKague Housser (1897-1996) is an artist who painted quite a few pieces of Cobalt in the 1930s. Some of her paintings were of the French Canadian settlement in Cobalt, where my grandparents probably lived.
Every time I go to the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa, I visit another of her Cobalt paintings.
|Summer scene of Cobalt Ontario by Yvonne McKague Housser
My daughter took a few fun pictures at the zoo.
|Polar bear, in need of a good bath!
|Polar Bear chilling in her space
Apparently the Komodo dragon had been zooming around before we got there - you can see the tracks all around him. He was resting while we visited!
|Komodo dragon at the Toronto Zoo
There were two golden lion tamarins. A plush version of this little guy came home with us 😊
|Golden lion tamarin at the Toronto Zoo
We just had to take a picture of this goat in his play area!
|Goat posing for us at the Toronto Zoo
One Monthly Goal
My December's One Monthly Goal is to finish up my niece's t-shirt quilt. Hopefully I'll get back on track very soon! 😎
|My niece's t-shirt quilt is my December OMG
What I learned
- I am so happy that we got to visit both the McMichael Canadian Art Collection and the Toronto Zoo. We were able to take our time and visit at our own pace in both these amazing spaces. The volunteers were wonderful.
- Art and animals - they always make me happy 😊
- After these visits, it was good to spend the rest of the week resting and recuperating.
- My husband, daughter and son were amazing. Thanks!
- I want to thank all of the doctors, nurses and staff at the Princess Margaret Hospital for their amazing care.
- I'm so looking forward to going home at the end of the week. With any luck, I'll be able to resume my art work soon!
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Why not check them out after you link up below? Put Your Foot Down, Patchwork & Quilts, Peacock Party,
Free Motion Mavericks
Gail of Quilting Gail has created many wonderful projects using Island Batiks' Wild Blooms fabric line. Nova was in McCall's May/June issue while the Stepping Out quilts were made using two different backgrounds fabrics. Check out the FMQ on these lovelies!
|Nova quilt in McCall's Quilting