Monday, November 21, 2022

Hexies and my doggy family

Hi! I thought that I would give you a quick update on my hexies since that's what I've been doing a lot of these days. It's perfect for mindful stitching because there are very few decisions to make. I love all of the slow stitching involved.

More hexies

While I was away with my girlfriend at my brother's cottage, I had time to play with more hexies. Here are some images of what it looked like at the beginning of November.

The eventual Hexie blanket

You can see that I'll have to work at making some of those sides even but I'm sure that I'll think of something interesting when the time comes (that may be putting a lot of pressure on my creativity!) At this time, everything is good and I just keep adding to it😊

A mass of hexies with double flowers on two of the edges

At the top of this picture, you can see some of the hexie flowers that I attached during my time away.

Attached hexie flowers at the top

This weekend I spent most of my time on the first floor with Poppy, my son's beautiful dog. She is a real treat and walking her in the early winter was a lot easier than in the heat of the summer. This was her first walk in snow. She seemed to enjoy it! Some even came into the house with her!

Poppy in the snow


Poppy bringing in the snow 😊

While she was here, I prepared a whole bunch of hexies. I then started attaching some to the eventual Hexie Blanket. The picture below are some of the hexies before I attached them. I am trying to even out those edges.

Working out how to fill in the holes.

The weekend before, I borrowed my brother's two sweethearts. They are photogenic and love having their pictures taken. 

Taffy and Twix, happy to have their pictures taken!

I didn't realise that I haven't spoken about my hexie blanket for a long while. I did post a few things on Instagram, so here are a couple of pictures from August 2022. It seems like forever now that my phlox were so beautiful 😊

Double hexie flower in the back yard

A close-up of the double hexie flower.

What I learned

  • I'm glad that I'm back to working on those hexies. It's really starting to look like it might be a blanket some day.
  • English Paper Piecing, especially hexies, is a wonderful way of quietly stitching. It's also very meditative.
  • I'm not too worried about the edges of the piece at this time, although I am making sure that the new hexies on the edges will be relatively straight.
  • I've enjoyed my time with my doggy family. I get to play with them as much as I can and then give them back. It's a sweet deal!😊
  • It seems that I haven't really posted about my hexie blanket in a while. It's sometimes hard to keep track of what goes on Instagram and what get's posted on the blog.
Related links

Linking parties

 I'm linking this post to Slow Sunday Stitching (I just made the deadline!) Put Your Foot Down



6 comments:

  1. Ahh .....all those beautiful hexies are a joyful sight. This is going to be a lovely quilt, Andree. Your Poppy certainly looks as if she enjoys her walks in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, they are definitely very colourful :-) Poppy had a good time, and I'm happy to say that walking in the snow with proper footwear wasn't as difficult as I feared - I'm horribly out of shape but I hope that time spent with Poppy will help that! Thanks for dropping by Kim. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful puppies - they must bring your family great joy!
    And your hexies are also so beautiful (in a non-furry way LOL)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I'm so happy that I can borrow the pups occasionally. I'm not ready for my own but borrowing is perfect for a dose of puppy love :-) Take care of yourself.

      Delete
  3. All those hexies are fantastic. I look forward to seeing them as a full blanket. I love all the pup pics!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)