Thursday, August 26, 2021

Remembering Chevy

Chevy came to us 5 years ago in June. I remember feeling that she had pushed her way into my heart within hours! 

Chevy - our Warrior Princess!

Last Christmas my daughter and I bought Chevy a new collar from Pooch & Tabby of Toronto. It was called Warrior Princess and it was perfect! Chevy was feisty, protective and full of love for her adoptive family and of food (not sure in which order!)


My favourite picture of Chevy sleeping on her quilts!

Chevy was also part of my Muse. Taking our walks has lead to a few of my favourite art quilts. This is one of them.

"Ca va bien aller" - at the beginning of the pandemic

One of the art pieces inspired by our walks

Warrior Princess Collar - perfect for our Chevy

"All for One"


Chevy was very good at giving us her paw, especially if there was a treat involved. From there, it evolved to "All for One" between Chevy, my daughter and I. This is the picture that I've been working on embroidering. I have the second one almost done but have decided to change one of the thread colours since it doesn't stand out quite enough.

"All for One!"

First attempt at "All for One"

Keeping me company

Chevy was usually only a few steps behind me. She would follow me around the house and make sure that I wasn't up to mischief! Here are a few of the pictures that have been posted on the blog in the last 5 years.

Chevy soon after her arrival into our home and hearts


Chevy supervising the sandwiching of the king-sized bed quilt
Always happy to help 😊


Chevy making sure that my first fabric dying attempt is a success!


Always happy to pose


Chevy's spot in my studio - it's feels pretty empty now 😔


Chevy posing with more hexies
Chevy posing in her spot on the couch with
hexies made of doggy fabrics














What I learned

  • Opening up your heart to a doggy leaves it vulnerable to being broken - but it's totally worth it.

Related Links


Linking parties
I am linking up to Susan of QuiltFabrication's National Dog Day linking party. It's the perfect day to remember all of the joy that Chevy has brought our family! 
I will also be linking up to other fun linking parties. Let's see what's going on in quilt land! Put Your Foot Down, Design Wall Monday, Needle & Thread Thursday, Patchwork & Quilts, Off the Wall Friday, Slow Sunday Stitching15 Minutes to Stitch 2021


26 comments:

  1. He looks like a sweetie. So sorry for your loss. Hope you continue to stay out of trouble in his honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - yes I will stay out of trouble, mostly :-) Take care!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, Chevy sure was a blessing. Take care.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet doggie and good for leading you on walks that help you find inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. I'm going to have to motivate myself to go for walks without her. I haven't even been able to get the mail since she's gone. I'm sure that I'll get back to it soon. Take care.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to read that you have lost such a loving companion, our pets are always such treasures in our lives. Sadly, I have just lost my sister so I'm feeling miserable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, I'm sorry to hear about your sister. That's much worse than a pet but I guess that they are both difficult to bear in their own way. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Hello Andrée,

    So sorry to hear about Chevy. You must be missing her dreadfully. Thank you for showing such lovely photos of her.

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Muv. I do miss her but as my daughter said - the worse is actually getting used to not having her here. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Sorry for your loss, I can tell how much Chevy meant to you and what a wonderful companion. I agree that opening up your heart to an animal leaves you vulnerable but it is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie - thanks. It was worth it and I'm focusing on our great moments together rather than her illness. Take care.

      Delete
  7. I agree - opening your heart to a pet is the best, and it looks like Chevy took a deep hold in yours. Thank you for sharing Chevy with us on National Dog Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Susan - it's not the post that I was hoping to write but it sure wasn't my decision. Take care and thanks again for hosting.

      Delete
  8. Yes, opening our heart to a pet does leave us so vulnerable. I am so sorry for your great loss. I so enjoyed seeing his life journal. Thank you for sharing such a sweet post. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Everyone has been so kind - but I guess most of us have had to live through these times. In the end, there really is no love without vulnerability and unfortunately pets just don't live as long as us. Hugs back :-)

      Delete
  9. You have paws on your heart and it will always be there. The memories and adventures will never be forgotten. Have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Maggie. They will always be with me. Have a great week!

      Delete
  10. Oh, I am so sad your adorable Chevy has passed. He sounds as if he was a real character who stole your heart. You have many beautiful memories of his time with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I'm so glad that Chevy was a part of my blogging world. This was a wonderful tribute to write.

      Delete
  11. Oh my heart breaks for you and your daughter. Reading your post I realize how much Enzo and Chevy were alike and I wont lie, I cried. So sorry my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Denise. I'm glad that you have Loki to fill your heart again but I'm sure that Enzo will also have a chunk of your heart too! Hugs :-)

      Delete
  12. Such a cutie. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - she is missed but life is getting back to normal and I'm grateful that she is no longer suffering.

      Delete
  13. Je suis en retard dans mes visites, et je viens tout juste de lire ton article. Désolée pour la perte de ce fidèle compagnon, bon courage pour la suite. Je t'embrasse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique. La routine recommence mais elle sera toujours dans mon coeur. Merci.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)