FMQ Garden & Pond finished!
|Free Motion Quilted Garden & Pond
|Stitched with grey thread
The journey began in March with a quick free motion quilting (FMQ) project for the Free Motion Mavericks post. I started outlining the flowers and pond in grey, which looked fine in person but not so great on the images 😊
For the next post, I added colour thread on top of the grey, which turned out to be OK. Then it was time to add more details - some foreground, a turtle and more water in the pond and more flowers to fill it out.
|Adding colour to the piece
In my last post, I added a few butterflies and a dragonfly.
|More details, including butterflies
|Adding metallic thread to the dragonfly
It looked good but I needed more FMQ in the sky. I also took the time to add some metallic thread, through the bobbin, on the dragonfly to make her shimmer.
I finished the piece with a facing. The link to my favourite tutorial by Terry Aske is in Related links below.
|Facing the piece
I created the sleeve using two scraps of blue fabric that included the selvage edge. I figured that this would be acceptable since people are having fun with selvages, and I didn't have to finish those ends - a definite bonus!
|Free Motion Quilting Garden & Pond
(Click on the image to see it better)
- The first image at the top of the post was taken outside. I wasn't impressed with the way that the bottom edge was curling up. I was very happy to find that some good steam solved the problem.
- I do wish that I had done a little bit more quilting in the foreground so that more showed when I flipped the edge for the facing. I'm getting better, but still not quite there 😊
- I'm really happy with this finish and am thrilled that it will be hanging in my friend's cubicle. That means that I'll be able to visit it!
- I learned many lessons during the making of this piece. You can find more in the related posts listed below.
- Posts related to FMQ Garden & Pond
- Spring is in the air with Free Motion Mavericks, March 13, 2019
- Adding Color and Free Motion Mavericks, April 10, 2019
- FMQ garden and pond, May 8, 2019
- Butterflies in the FMQ garden and pond, June 5, 2019
- Terry Aske, Art Quilt Studio, My new favourite quilt facing technique
I'm happy to be able to link up to the usual great linky party as well as those with a finished project...It's been a while! What I Made Monday, Midweek Makers, Tuesday Colour Linky Party, Needle & Thread Thursday, Put your foot down, Peacock Party, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Off The Wall Friday, UFO Busting, Moving It Forward, Monday Making, Design Wall Monday, Beauties Pageant, TGIFF,
FMQ Garden & Pond
16 ¼ " x 9"
Materials: Kona cotton background, metallic, silk, cotton and polyester thread
Techniques: whole cloth free motion quilting
Free Motion Mavericks
Thank you for all of the link ups two weeks ago. It seems that everyone is back at their sewing machine producing some great work! It's great to see your work, whether it's on its way to being quilted or finished. If you didn't see Becca's Star-Crossed Plaid quilt, take the time to visit. It's really great - and she's going to write up the pattern!
|Star-Crossed Plaid by Becca of Pretty Piney Quilts