I've made a few improv quilts and when I saw Amy's challenge, I knew that it would be a great opportunity to continue on my improv way (see Amy's new e-book in Related links below).
|Amy's Creative Side|
One Week Improv Challenge with Amy
I took out my batik scraps and started cutting (without a ruler) and sewing strips together.
Day 1 was all about cutting and sewing strips together.
|Putting strips together|
Day 2 was sewing bits together.
Sewing bits together
|Adding triangles to the mix|
|Using the log cabin format|
On day 5, I tried making gentle curves
|Adding very gentle curves|
|5 improv blocks|
- The Challenge was actually 7 days but I ran out of steam!
- I do plan on doing Day 6 since it was essentially improv foundation paper piecing. That does sound intriguing but if I had waited to do that block, I might never have posted this!
- I started the challenge on day 3 and made the first three blocks and then two days later, made the next two blocks.
- I really need to work on my curves. If you look closely at the curved block, you can see some lines that are crooked. Those are my curves...and the block is puffy 😊
- I'm not sure what I'll do with these blocks, but I'm considering cutting them up from their 10" to perhaps 6", using the left-overs to make more blocks and then adding some light batik fabric as a sashing. Without too much extra effort, it could make a cute baby or lap quilt.
- If you get a chance to check out the Intagram link below, there are some very cool improv blocks and quilts. I love the look of solids on improv but got carried away with the batiks. I think that smaller blocks with some white batik sashing would tone it down a little!
- Thanks so much Amy for this challenge. It was a lot of fun.
- Amy's Creative Side with Amy Ellis
- Amy's new e-book: Getting Started in Improv Quilting…even if you don’t know where to begin
- Check out the Instagram links at #improvwithamy
- Here are some of my completed improv projects
I will be linking this post to several great link-ups. Let's see what's going on out there! Monday Making, Main Crush Monday, Design Wall Monday, Moving it Forward, What I Made Monday, Oh Scrap!, Tuesday Colour Linky Party, Midweek Makers, Linky Tuesday, Silly Mama Quilts WIPs, Needle & Thread Thursday, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Finished or Not Friday,
What's coming up!
On Thursday I will be hosting Free Motion Mavericks. It will be the 14th so I'll have something appropriate 💖 for the occasion. Muv is presently hosting and there are a few hours left to link up!
Next week (Thursday, February 21) I'm participating in a great blog hop. I found a book that I've wanted to use for many years now and have been having a great time. All I can say is that it's very slow stitching with lots of embroidery and embellishment. It's been very restful and lots of fun!