Monday, March 26, 2018

Scrappy Triangle Baby Quilt Finish

It's done! Another UFO busted 😊  My Scrappy Triangle quilt is all quilted and bound. You may have been following my quilting journey in the last few weeks.
Scrappy Triangle Baby Quilt
I made these scrappy triangles and placed them with some solid blocks. I knew that I would have to make some setting triangles to make this quilt into a rectangle but I just took the easy way around it by making extra triangles and blocking them off. What can I say, I didn't want to do the math, I had lots of fabric and I didn't have a pattern handy that would have figured it out for me :-) I'm just really happy that it worked out.
Taking the lazy way and skipping the math
Once I squared off and sandwiched the quilt, I decided to quilt the scrappy blocks first since I had no idea what I wanted to do for the solid triangles. I used all kinds of free motion quilting designs on the scrappy triangles and had a ball.

On evening, I took out all of my Angela Walter's books and courses, and drew various designs on paper. I wanted something simple, relatively easy to FMQ but also something that would have a few variations.
Dot-to-dot quilting in the corners with some loops

Starbursts on the solid triangles with some simple filling
Once I had finally decided what to quilt, it didn't take very long. I even added Jacob's name in one of the corners.
Jacob's name in the corner
Here is the finished quilt. Indoor pictures near the window had to do since it's really not nice enough outside for a photo shoot. The weather is warming up but the snow is melting and it's starting to get muddy.
Scrappy Triangles Quilt is finished and is
making its way to Vancouver for baby Jacob.
Here's the label. I love using foundation paper piecing blocks and putting a border around them for the label. I even got to use a tiny piece of Vancouver hockey fabric that didn't make it into the binding :-)
Foundation paper pieced block for the label
What I learned

  • I managed to run out of thread, twice! It was the blue thread in the solid blocks - and I didn't even use it in the bobbin! OK, the first spool of thread wasn't full, but that's a lot of thread! It's not so obvious when I use my bigger spools.
  • My daughter asked me how much thread there was in the spool. I figured out that I used about one kilometer of blue thread, one kilometer of bobbin thread and at least one or two more for the scrappy triangles! Wow!
  • I really enjoyed planning out the quilting of the solid triangles. Angela Walters has some great ideas in her Shape by Shape books (which I now own). Between these and her Dot-to-Dot course on Craftsy, I had tons of ideas that fit my criteria.
Related Links
    Linking Parties
    I will be linking up to many link-ups. Follow along to see what's happening. UFO BusingMonday MakingMain Crush MondayDesign Wall MondayMoving it Forward, Oh Scrap!, Linky Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Let's Bee Social,

    February 8, 2020 - I'm linking up to Sarah Goer's Show Me Something...with Triangles linking party. This is my favourite triangle project ever 😊

    Project Details

    Scrappy Triangle Baby Quilt
    34" x 38"
    Materials: cotton
    Techniques: improv piecing with scraps, free motion quilting (FMQ)

    10 comments:

    1. Great way to use up those small scraps. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Cynthia. I love using scraps, especially when I can do improv piecing.

        Delete
    2. Replies
      1. Thank you. I'm really happy with it, and I'm sure that baby and mom will be too!

        Delete
    3. What a happy quilt! I too have cut off triangles - then I used the on the back.

      ReplyDelete
    4. How fun is that!! Great job using those scraps and on the quilting. It's just as fun to look at as the little pieces of different themed fabric.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I Love it!! I love scrappy- and the triangles!!wow - I wouldn't do math eihter ;-)

      ReplyDelete
    6. This is such a fun quilt! Love all the bright happy fun colors. And pat on the back on the quilting! It looks great. You can never go wrong with Angela inspired quilting :) I would have totally squared the quilt up the same way you did.

      ReplyDelete
    7. How beautiful, your quilting is perfect on it!

      ReplyDelete

    Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)