Saturday, July 07, 2018

Throwback Thursday

I've always liked doing improvisational piecing. Although I don't necessarily do it often, I find it very relaxing to just sew bits of fabric together, and the wonkier the better!

Scrappy Improv Binder Cover

This project, a binder cover, was made in 2012-2013. The only reason I know this is because of the scraps. Many of these fabrics were originally used to make a Seattle Street quilt for my niece. You can see the quilt below.

Scrappy improv binder cover -  front
The binder holds my sewing machine information - a stitch chart that I started but never finished, my manual as well as bit of stitching samples. These bits are usually of satin stitching since that pretty much the only stitch that I take the time to make a sample of.
Scrappy improv binder cover - back
Here's the original Seattle Street quilt that I made for my niece during a guild workshop. I think that my niece has more of my quilts than anyone else. That's mostly because I made a couple of quilts for the family, thinking that they would go in their family room, but she quickly took ownership of them!

Seattle Street quilt
What I learned

I can't honestly tell you what I learned while making any of these projects - it's been too long. I do like my binder cover, especially since it was made to be wonky on purpose. Of course if I was trying not to make it wonky, the results would be the same 😊

Related Links

Although I never included the binder covers in a blog post, I did include the Seattle Street quilt in the post below. As you can see if you follow the link, I was very shy and didn't know what to say back then. Oh, how that's changed!
Linking Parties
I will be linking this post to Throwback Thursday at mmm! Quilts, as well as many others. Join the fun and see what's happening around the quilting world. Friday Foto Fun, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?Monday MakingMain Crush Monday, Oh Scrap!Design Wall MondayMoving it Forward Linky TuesdayTuesday Colour Linky Party, Let's Bee Social, Midweek Makers, Needle & Thread Thursday,

8 comments:

  1. Hi Andree,
    Oh how I love those scrappy binder covers! Perfect use for scraps, and I actually want to make a few of them for my boss for her October birthday. I was going to do something special with her love bicycles in mind, but may take the easier way out and go with this instead! Happy Tuesday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseanne. These are great to make. Maybe you can use a lovely bicycle fabric as a focal point and then use scraps around it! She would probably love that! Hope you hade a great week.

      Delete
  2. I've only done one improv project and it was the most relaxing thing I've sewn. I need to remember to do that more often! Your binder looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. It's so much fun going back to see those older throwback projects. A lot of them are improv sewing before I knew what that was!

      Delete
  3. Improv is so fun! No rules, no stress - just do what you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Susan. That's also why I do art quilts - they are almost always improv quilting, even if a little more thought out.

      Delete
  4. Great binder covers and thanks for showing the original quilt as well. I love seeing where scraps come from and get to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dione. It's true that scraps had a previous life. I guess that's why scrappy quilts always have so many stories behind them!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)