My finish this week is a Batik Lap Quilt for a friend. This lap quilt is made of two Los Cobos Batiks charm packs (5 inch squares) by Moda and some squares from my stash. I also quilted it using Kimono Silk Thread, which I ran out of half way through!
This was the first time that I free motion quilted (FMQ) the same design all over the quilt. It was the feather meander design that I learned from Angela Walter's FMQ Challenge earlier this year.
|Finished Batik Lap Quilt
|Picnic shot of the Batik Lap Quilt
This morning's photo session was a real treat - sunny but not too hot. I went to one of my favourite places to photograph my work, just outside of the building I work in. Even if the grass is yellow everywhere, the brick and grasses are always great for photographing quilts.
|A peak at the back
Here's a close-up shot of the quilting. The FMQ went really well except when I was quilting on the lighter blue fabric - it was almost invisible and I had a lot of trouble seeing my feathers!
|Close-up of the FMQ feather meander design
- This was a really great project to practice my FMQ. The feather meander design is really great.
- By the end of the quilting though, I was getting a little bored and my feathers were getting pretty creative. I just may have to play with this a little more - who knows, I could come up with a variation of my own!
- I've learned my lesson - this is the last time that I will buy only 2 charm packs for this kind of quilt. It sort of defeats the purpose when you still have to cut more squares.
- I was able to put this lesson to practice because I was the June OMG link-up's lucky winner a a $25 gift certificate from the Fat Quarter Shop. I bought 3 beautiful batik charm packs to make my next lap quilt. You see? Eventually lessons learned do stick (at least for a while). Thank you so much Patty of Elm Street Quilts and the Fat Quarter Shop for a great gift.
- Batik Lap Quilt related posts
- Q3 Goals for 2018, July 16, 2018
- Squirrels and July Plans, July 2, 2018
- June is finished? June 30, 2018
- FMQ, design wall and a quilt-along, April 16, 2018
- Celebrating holidays and travel, January 31, 2018
- Batik Lap Quilt 3, Inspiration and Slow Work, January 22, 2018
- Feather Meander tutorial with Angela Walters
I'll be linking this post to the July OMG linkup as soon as it opens 😊 as well as other great parties. Let's go see what's happening around the quilting world. Let's Bee Social, Midweek Makers, Needle & Thread Thursday, Finished or Not Friday, Friday Foto Fun, Free Motion Mavericks, Monday Making, Main Crush Monday, Design Wall Monday, Moving It Forward, Linky Tuesday, Tuesday Colour Linky Party,
Great news! Batik Lap Quilt was featured on Free Motion Mavericks. Thanks Muv :-)
and on Midweek Makers. Thanks Susan!
Batik Lap Quilt 3
50" x 47"
Materials: 2 Los Cobos Batiks charm packs and other batik fabrics
Technique: piecing and free motion quilting using feather meander design