Monday, July 16, 2018

Q3 Goals for 2018

Just like last year, I missed the first two quarters of the Finish-Along, but hopefully I'll participate in the last two quarters.

Batik Lap Quilt

Since this project is my One Monthly Goal (OMG) for July, and that I received my beautiful silk thread, I'll be finishing this quilt in about another three hours of quilting. The feather meander FMQ is looking as good as I hoped 😊

Feather Meander design for the batik lap quilt


This project is also my finish since I'm hosting this week's TGIFF - I'll see you there!




Neutral Lap Quilt

I started this quilt at the beginning of June. It's going much better than I hoped. Part of the reason is that I can cut the fabric in batches after I've finished piecing the last batch. It's my favourite way of cutting and piecing - a small batch at a time. I can handle 10 or even 20 blocks, but not 80! 

Neutral lap quilt is coming along
I love working in batches

Kingfisher Stitch-Along

I'm having so much fun with this stitch-along, but it's going to take a lot longer than a couple of months to finish the quilt! My goal is to have the quilt top finished by the end of the quarter. Probably not very realistic, but I'll certainly keep at it cause someone might decide to make this much fun illegal 😊
Lots of hexie flowers and many, many more to go!

The first hexie on a diamond

Connected by a Thread Art Quilt

I've only posted a few little parts of this art quilt. It's coming along but will need some dedicated time soon to get it finished by the September deadline. How I dislike that 8 letter word....

More work required to finish this art quilt!
Art Quilt with Embroidery

The Out of the Box is putting on a display of art quilts with words, sayings, etc. at a local library. Since it's for November, I would really like to see what I can do to add words and possibly some FMQ to one of my embroideries. I found the words so now it's a matter of putting all of this together. It will be both fun and a challenge 😊 I'm sure I'll learn lots - so what's not to love?

Étude in Stem Stitching

FMQ motifs in stem stitch

Art with Fabric Blog Hop
This is an event that I love participating in. Since I'd like to be able to show it in next summer's show, it will have to be based on something that doesn't have any copyright. Buildings, ancient, medieval and Renaissance art fit well into that category, so what ever the theme, this criteria will help me narrow things down when it comes to deciding what to do.

Welcome to My House Blog Hop

I've always wondered how quilters joined the blog hops until I found Carol at Just Let Me Quilt. She hosts many blog hops and since she was looking for participants for her next blog hop, I accepted the challenge :-) I love that the only criteria is a house on the finished piece. I think I can do that! I'll see you all in September for this one.

Note: these last 2 projects don't count for the Q3 since they haven't been started, but I included them here so that I could keep track of all my plans.

What I learned
  • This should probably read, "what I didn't learn" and "what I'm doing again!" which is to over commit. In my defense, many of these projects are things that I'd like to do but don't really have to do. In reality, there are only two items that I've committed to - the Connected by a Thread and the Welcome to my House blog hop. At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it 😊
  • There seems to be a pattern here about missing the first 2 quarters of the Finish Along. I think that in the winter, I just go, go, go, but in the heat of summer, I take more time to plan and reflect....maybe?
  • I expect to have a lot of fun in the next quarter. Hopefully I'll have the time to play on most of these. Like I keep telling my husband, if you're not having fun, why bother? (that's about hockey and golf but it could apply to quilting and art!)

Related links
There are quite a few related links here, so I'm just going to post the last time I mentioned these particular projects on the blog. From there, if you want, you can see their related links.

Linking parties
I will be linking this post to the Q3 Goal Setting Link-up of the 2018 Finish-A-Long,  as well as many others. Let's see what everyone is planning and doing!
Monday MakingMain Crush MondayDesign Wall MondayMoving it Forward Monday, Linky Tuesday, To-Do TuesdayTuesday Colour Linky Party, Midweek Makers, Silly Mama Quilts WIPsNeedle & Thread Thursday, Finished or Not Friday,

7 comments:

  1. The quilting on your batik quilt looks great. And the bow ties look so different with that neutral centre. I've made a couple and they can appear so differently depending on how they're arranged. Yours look great with the squarish circles, great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn. I was really surprised that it was a bow tie pattern. I would never have guessed but then I've never made one. I love that it's sewing up so easily - I'm not a fan of complex piecing :-)

      Delete
  2. wow!
    what a wonderful variety of projects you have going!

    thanks so much for linking up!

    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke, I need variety or I get bored...quickly :-)

      Delete
  3. So many amazing projects! Those hexies are fantastic! And that embroidery piece is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure have a lot of variety on your plate! Good luck meeting all your goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a lovely assortment of projects. I hope that you are making progress on your list and look forward to seeing what you have finished. On behalf of the FAL crew, thank you for joining in and good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)