I am having a really hard time this winter - I seem to make my deadlines by only few hours. Not really good but then I guess that's what happens when life is busy. At least it's done.
Starry Bright Sky - Block 2
Updated March 8, 2018
|Block 2 - Traditional piecing (final block) :-)|
This is the second block in Alida's Starry Bright Sky quilt-along. It was a fairly simple block to make and included half-square triangles and 4-patch strips. It went together well, with most seams matching. That's always my challenge.
I used a solid blue and bright yellow, with a slightly textured very light yellow for the 4-patch units in the middle. Both picture were taken after dark, so neither is a really good representation, but the colours in the bottom picture are more accurate. However, you can see the slight circular shapes in the light fabric better in the upper picture.
To add some interest to the blocks, I've decided to use at least one non-solid in each block. It will probably be in the yellow (or orange) fabric since I have lots of tone-on-tone yellow fabric. I learned from last year's quilt-along that I quickly get tired of solids.
|Block 2 - Traditional piecing|
A pretty block but not a star!
One Monthly Goal (OMG)
I am keeping my OMG simple for March. I will be finishing up my "Not playing the supporting role!" quilt, which I finished FMQ as my February OMG.
It now needs to be trimmed and the binding added. The great news is that the binding is all cut and ready to go in a bag that I still know where it is :-)
What I learned
- I took the time to read all of the instructions and make notes, but still managed to cut double the amount of blocks I needed. Not sure how that happened. Anyway, I trimmed 4 of them to 2" and may use them to make the second variation of this block. Well see...
- After my oops moment above, I may want to compare the picture of my block to the block on the pattern!
- I fixed two of the half-square triangle units and thought I was done :-( I think I may need another vacation....
- I am keeping my OMG simple this month since I have to get my quilts ready for Fibre Fling 7. This mostly involves deciding on the quilts, doing the paper work and ensuring that they all have sleeves and labels. I'm sure that I will do my FMQ this month, but I don't want to commit to anything specific. You see, I am learning 😊
- Starry Bright Night Quilt Along 2018 with Alida
- "Not playing the supporting role! quilt posts
Design Wall Monday, Moving It Forward, Linky Tuesday, Let's Bee Social, Midweek Maker, Needle & Thread Thursday, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Finished or Not Friday,
Great news! My star block (the correct one) was featured by Susan on Midweek Makers. Thanks!