Thursday, December 07, 2017

Finished Growing Up QAL

It's been a fun year participating in Alida's Growing Up QAL. Each month we tried a new technique and made some fun blocks. Alida was well organised and gave us a couple of options for each block. I usually chose the easiest one :-)

For my colour palette, I chose Kona solids in different grey, pink and maroon. I did add a few prints in the improv log cabin block.

Here is the list of the blocks and techniques we learned (as well as the links to the posts):

All of the blocks from Growing Up QAL with Alida (2017)
As you may have read in a couple of posts, my blocks 1, 2 and 3 have disappeared! I still haven`t found them, so I may end up remaking the blocks. At least I have the pictures and the lessons learned in the posts!
CBC logo

I am really fond of block 3 since it almost looks like the CBC logo (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). I'm a huge fan of the CBC Radio and CBC Radio 2 channels. If I have time, I really would like to see if I could make something resembling the logo using the curved piecing in block 3.


Alida has also supplied us with all kinds of options for the sashing. I've only read a couple of her posts but hope to catch up on my reading during the holidays, and before Alida begins her next quilt-along which will be the Starry Bright Sky QAL.


Check out her Starry Bright Sky QAL page. There are some wonderful blocks. She's made a gorgeous pillow from one of them. The link is below in the Related Links. Check it out!


To-Do Tuesday

✓ I'm not setting any more goals for the week, rather I'm reporting on my finished item from my to-do list.
Block 37 - Monette

As I mentioned in my last post, I took out the bag of Christmas scraps and made my first hexagon block based on Katja Marek's book, The New Hexagon, 52 Blocks to English Paper Piece.

I bought the book and EPP shapes a while back, but wanted to focus on my hexies before starting something new. I have also basted the pieces for block 38 Sonja. I should be able to sew it together soon.

I'm really looking forward to appliquéing these onto fabric to make something (maybe Christmas mug rugs).

What I learned
  • With the Growing Up QAL, not only did I make blocks, but I learned and tried many different things.
  • I learned that there seems to be a limit to the number of curves I want to sew together!
  • English Paper Piecing is very difficult if I use my own hand-made templates. Pre-cut shapes are not a luxury but a necessity for me!
  • If I want my blocks to finish at 12½" x 12½", I have to start with a 13" block. My blocks are officially only 12" x 12".
  • I think I got one block finished early - the rest of them usually involved a mad scramble near the end of the month.
  • It's not a big deal having to pay for a pattern if I posted late, but I knew that it would probably be a good excuse for me not to finish the QAL. That's why there was a mad rush at the end of most months!
  • It was difficult doing EPP with shapes other than hexagons. Those little extra flaps of fabric are a pain to work around. I was sort of disappointed that after working so hard at basting and sewing hexies, that I wasn't really good at working with these other shapes :-( I know, it's just another challenge and something else to learn :-)
Related Links

Linking Parties: I'll be linking this post to Alida's Growing Up QAL link-up page, as well as many other excellent linking parties. Join in the fun! Needle and Thread Thursday, Midweek Makers, Monday Making, Main Crush Monday, Design Wall Monday, Linky Tuesday, Oh Scrap!, Let's Bee Social, Quilter's Monday, Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?, Finished or Not Friday,

6 comments:

  1. The blocks look great! I still need to do a post of all of them - maybe next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. It would be nice if that quilt made itself. I feel like I should be finished, but only the blocks are done :-)

      Delete
  2. The blocks all together look fantastic! I am glad you enjoyed the QAL! Thanks for making it a great success!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alida, thank you so much for all of your hard work. It was fun and I did learn lots! However, now I have another UFO :-)

      Delete
  3. I love the colour palette you chose for the quilt along and I hope you find the missing blocks. I also love the CBC , and I also prefer to use the premade template for e.p.p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, the CBC (especially the radio) is awesome. I am staying away from the non-pre-made EPP templates because I have so much problems with them. It's hard though because there are so many amazing projects out there....but it's probably a good thing that I can't do then all anyway :-)

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)