Wednesday, October 23, 2024

More Joyful Embroidery and Free Motion Mavericks

Hi and welcome 😊 It's been a crazy week here between stitching, getting ready for Out of the Box (OOTB) Fall Fibre Fling and membership and actually working! When I retired, I never thought that I would ever say that again. It's actually been great, so no regrets!

Stitching Black-eyed Susan


I usually share my disasters but I'm making an exception here. My first attempt at stitching the flower was a complete disaster. I'm not exaggerating. I picked out the embroidery thread since it was easier than re-drawing the flower. Then I watched Fleur Wood's video and it was clear that my stitches had been too long. Fleur uses a split-back stitch to colour in her flowers. It's sort of like a short-long stitch but better. It ended up being very fun to do!

First two flowers stitched

For the first flower, I used 3 strands of embroidery floss for the petals and then two strands for the outline. In my first attempt, I had used a lighter colour for the outline and that did not look good. So I did learn something other than don't use long stitches!

First flower needs a stem and centre

The first flower was stitched with the split-back stitch. I used a stem stitch for the outline. This really helps to show where the petals overlap. I am using very sharp embroidery needles and have left a bit of DNA on my piece. I didn't bother washing it off since it was stitched over.
 
Working on the second flower

I used 6 strands of brown embroidery floss for the centre of both flowers. I started with the split-back stitch and then covered it in French Knots. The stems are done in stem stitch, in a light green #8 perle cotton. 

For the second flower, I used a yellow #8 perle cotton for the petals. I'm happy to say that it didn't make much difference. I'm happy because when I can, I prefer embroidering with perle cotton.

Punch Needle


As I mentioned last week, Fleur has shown us how to use punch needle instead of using a Turkey stitch to make rug-like fringes. I must admit that I had a hard time getting used to using the punch needle but a little practice and some very good information from Amy Oxford of the Oxford Punch Needle School helped a lot. In her video about which yarns to use, she explains the mechanics of the punch needle and gives suggestions of yarns that work and don't work. 

In the image below, I was trying to use a cheap inexpensive embroidery thread. If it doesn't work, Amy suggests to either double up the thread if it's very fine, or use a "control" thread such as wool along with it. I managed to do one line with this teal thread but gave up after that. I only watched the video after giving up. 

Trying various yarns and threads in the Punch Needle

For punch needle the image at the top shows you that I worked from there, but it's actually the back of the piece. The lovely fringe comes up on the other side, as you can see in the image below.

Later on I used a gorgeous fine variegated cotton yard. I used two pieces of thread in the punch needle. It worked beautifully and the mixed colours of the variegated thread came out great. If this image is a little confusing it's because I flipped the hoop around and punch needled from the front, to obtain a flat lovely area. Since it worked so well, I flipped the hoop again and added some fringe for the top in the same yarn. 
Experimenting with doing punch needle from the back and the front

At the beginning, it's difficult not to have the thread pop out of the fabric so once I was finished, I embroidered with the same yarn in the areas with gaps. When the fringe is actually on top, you don't notice these gaps, unless they are huge. On the top, the luscious fringes take up lots of space. 

In the image below, you can see that I added some curly twined fabric at the top. In the space between the yellow and green rug area, I stitched the fabric strip down to add crinkly texture. 

Punch needle, stitching and adding interesting texture

This is where I've gotten so far. Below the green rug, I added a scrap of blue green fabric and stitched some organic blanket stitches on top. I'm not sure where I'll go next with the piece, but I did add a few interesting bits that could work....we'll see 😁

Embroidery stitching on fabric and a few ideas

I wanted to share with you this great picture I took earlier today. It's been raining leaves!

Raining Leaves in the backyard!

Coming up - Fall Fibre Fling!


I was happy to learn that I only have one shift at the Membership table since the volunteer coordinator included this in the list. I'll be doing one shift on Saturday afternoon and then a shift at the front doors on Friday early afternoon. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's art. Since this is a sale, there is likely to be a little less art and a lot of fun textile things for sale. I'll try to keep my purchases reasonable 😍 

This Friday and Saturday in Ottawa

What I learned
  • When embroidering, don't draw your flower too close to the edge of the fabric - it makes it more difficult to stitch! I really should know that but didn't notice until I came to stitch it.
  • I love the effect that the paint had on the fabric. It's so uneven and splotchy, and yet stitches up very well!
  • I enjoyed stitching the flowers using the split-back stitch and it didn't take long that my stitches were improving.
  • I really like the stem stitch, so that's what I used for the outlines and the stems.
  • As I mentioned I'm happy that in this instance, the #8 perle cotton was similar to three strands of embroidery floss. I just prefer stitching (and threading) perle cotton!
  • I know that we'll be going back to work on these flowers later because Fleur Woods is all about layering and she believes that more is better 😁
  • Punch needle is a skill that is improved with practice. 
  • Once I got the basics and my work should have been ok, I looked up Oxford Punch Needle on Google and got the exact video that I needed. I figured that my problem was the yarn that I used...and I was correct. 
  • So don't be afraid to search out more information if what you're doing isn't working. Odds are, someone else had the same issues and you'll find it solved somewhere!
  • I love being able to do punch needle from both the back and the front. It also helped me understand what what happening at both ends.
  • I have been stitching much more densely then they recommend when you are making a rug. It will be fun to actually make a small rug at some point.
  • I've registered for a workshop on punch needle next winter. The workshop is with Robin through OOTB. Then I can learn to use punch needle the way that it was meant to be used.
  • Fall Fling was a huge success. People love seeing what we do and I love having an excuse to talk about it.😊
Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to these fun linking parties. You might want to check some out, after you link up below. 😊 Monday Musings, Design Wall Monday, Sew & Tell, Midweek Makers, Put your foot down, Needle & Thread Thursday, Off The Wall Friday, Beauties Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts, 15 Minutes to Stitch 2024, Oh Scrap!, Slow Sunday Stitching

Free Motion Mavericks


Welcome to week 504 of Free Motion Mavericks! It was a productive week! Thanks for linking up. Here are the projects from last week that included FMQ, ruler work or walking foot quilting. 

Kat of Scrapbox Quilts finished quilting two very lovely Swirling Star Christmas Toppers. Check out her post to see the FMQ from the back!

Swirling Star Christmas Toppers by Kat

Donnalee only has the buttons to add to her Avocado Cat. How cute is that?

Avocado Cat by Donnalee

Dawn of Quilting by Dawn made a gorgeous Circle of Friends quilt for the newlyweds. In the photo you can see the lovely stitching. 

Circle of Friends quilt made by Dawn

It's now your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your blog post is so informative! So much to read and take in! I love embroidery and thank you for your explanation about the split stitch and length! Your "What you learned" segment is great! Nice to meet another Canadian blogger. I am just getting back into again, after ins and outs. I will be back to visit and share my FMQ!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)