Thursday, April 04, 2024

Scrappy Journal on Free Motion Mavericks

Hi and welcome. ⛄ Are you under siege with snow? I'm sure that it won't stay, but it's here. At least it will be Spring again eventually!  I have a spring-like project to share.

Scrappy Journal Challenge


A few weeks ago I participated in another Vintage Page Designs Challenge. We made a Scrappy Journal. It took me longer than a week to make but I love how it turned out. I've cut up paper to create more of these in different sizes. Hopefully I'll play with them soonish.

Scrappy Journal - a Spring-like cover

You may remember this photo while I was making the cover.

Cover hanging up to dry

I was supposed to add more images and stitches to the cover but that didn't happen. That's why we make many versions 😊.

Front of the Scrappy Journal

I have 4 signatures (sections), each with a cover page

The binding of the book is a zig-zag stitch

Back cover of the journal

Poppy modeling the journal 😍

What I learned
  • In my previous post (see Related links) I mentioned that I had used a thinner watercolour paper to make this cover and glued on a second paper to it. It worked out ok, but for the next two that I've started, I used the proper watercolour paper weight and just changed the sizes of the journals.
  • The cover can also be done on canvas fabric. I bought some very reasonably priced printed canvas that looks like it's been stenciled. I'm hoping to glue various papers onto it to create something unique.
  • I've been collecting paper napkins when I go out for supper and find cool ones. This cover was done using some napkins illustrating the 12 days of Christmas, as well as a few favourites that have flowers. I'm always on the look-out for interesting paper napkins to make journal covers.
  • In my next versions of this scrappy journal cover, I'll be stitching on fabric. That will be a lot of fun 😀
  • I used printed paper to make a cover for each signature. However, I would love the scrappiness of these journal to extend to the paper used inside, and not only the cover. I've made a few artsy journals (see Related links) so mixing all of this together would be a lot of fun.
  • I want to play with the idea of a scrappy journal so that I can use this as part of the playdate for the Out of the Box (OOTB) Fibre Artists. It will be held in June, so I have some time to figure it out.
  • The zig-zag stitch that was used for this journal was a bit complicated for beginners. I want to make more journals with the zig-zag stitch, but I'll find a simpler alternative for the playdate.
Great news! Hubby had a look at my scrappy journal and would like me to make him one! 😊

Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Why not check them out - and please remember to link up below 😊Put your foot downOff The Wall Friday, Finished (Or Not) Friday, TGIFF, Patchwork & Quilts15 Minutes to Stitch 2024Design Wall Monday, Sew & Tell,

Project details



Scrappy Journal
made for the Scrappy Journal Challenge with Vintage Page Designs
Size: 9" x 4"
Materials: watercolour paper, napkins, scrap paper and fabric, printed craft paper, glue, printer paper, waxed cotton string, ribbon
Techniques: book making techniques with zig-zag spine and scrappy cover 


Free Motion Mavericks


It's week 576 of Free Motion Mavericks. Let's see what our quilters are up to!

DonnaleeQ quilted a Raider's runner as well as a cute Sun Bonnet Sue quilt that she started 20 years ago with her granddaughter. 

Raider's runner by Donnalee

Sun Bonnet Sue quilt made by Donnalee

Gail of Quilting Gail didn't have a finish this Friday but she showed us a photo of her quilt top being quilted using Silly Moon rulers. 

Quilt top getting quilted by Gail

Gail quilting her top using Silly Moon rulers

Chris of ChrisKnitsSews was able to finish her grandbaby's quilt since he's now made an appearance. Chris made the curved lines using rulers, did some stitch-in-the-ditch and Point-to-Point stitching. What a beauty!

Baby C's quilt, made by Chris

Stitching details by Chris

It's now your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

4 comments:

  1. Très joli ce journal ! Tu collectionnes les serviettes en papier comme les tissus ? ;))
    Merci pour le partage !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allo Frédérique, oui, je collectionne les serviettes papier. Pas autant que les tissus mais j'ai une petite collection :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely journal. Enjoy playing with paper and thread this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, it's a lot of fun although I don't like getting my hands full of glue. Hubby said that he really liked my journal, so I'll be making him at least one for his note taking at work. How exciting! A reason to look for more napkins :-)

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)