Thursday, October 26, 2023

Fall Fling Market on Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome to week 453 of Free Motion Mavericks. I have been busy getting ready for the Out of the Box (OOTB) Fibre Artists' Fall Fling Marketplace. This will be the first one held in the Fall. 

Fall Fling 2023


Fall Fling 2023 - a marketplace

The organisers had a major challenge when they found out a few weeks ago that the location that they thought they had rented, was not available. A new, even better venue was found but the posters and advertising with the old location are out there! We've all been doing our best to spread the word through social media. 

Since this is a marketplace, all of our art work must be for sale. I don't usually make items to sell for the market section of our shows, but this time I thought that I would make a few and see how I do. As I've mentioned in another post, I love all of the things that I've made, so having to bring them back home would not be a terrible thing 😊. However anything that sells can go towards buying new supplies and that would be nice!

FMQ journals and covers


In case you didn't see these last week, here are a few pictures. If you want more details, all of the links can be found in the Related links section below.

2 pink journal covers

Blue and green journal covers with very thick journals within

Hand-made books


I've also decided to put the three little library books in the marketplace. 

Embroidered stitches used for the spine of these lovely little books

Included is the journal with the hour-glass binding made of paper fabric. I haven't written a post about this specific book, but I did include it in the post about my refillable notepad cases, when I talked about paper fabric.

Journal with the hour-glass binding made of paper fabric

Front of the journal made of paper fabric

I have one refillable notepad case in the marketplace.

Refillable notepad case

The inside of the case

Small art pieces


I have three small art pieces for sale. This first one is Squirrel! I realised as I was writing this post that I never did share the finish on my blog. There are, however, pictures on Instagram.

Squirrel! made from gelli printed fabric

My Ephemera 1 piece will be in the show. 

Ephemera 1

Finally, I finished a meditation piece that I started at an Out of the Box (OOTB) playdate that I ran in July. It was very successful and I decided to see if I could stitch the finished piece on a spray painted canvas. I really love the effect. I'll be trying out more of these in the future.

Fly, fly away meditation stitched piece mounted on an 8" x 8" canvas

Since I haven't bought any business cards yet, I created these home-made price cards for the items. Between the snowflake hole and the label, I have affixed the price codes for the sale. Most of these are attached with small safely pins. 

Home-made price cards 

What I learned
  • It always takes so much more time than I expect to get everything ready for a show or sale and this time was no exception.
  • I had fun making the little price cards. I still haven't bought business cards yet.
  • I'm really looking forward to doing some shopping of my own at the marketplace.
  • If you're in the Ottawa area, I'll be at Fall Fling all day Friday. I hope to see you there!
    • Results: It was a lot of fun seeing everyone's art and pieces and of course seeing my peeps! I sold the blue and the green covered journals and the chain stitch little library book. Yeah!!! If you are a reader or you found my blog because you bought the journals, Thanks and Welcome here!
Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Why not check them out after linking up below? Put your foot down, Needle & Thread Thursday, Sew & Tell, Design Wall Monday, Midweek Makers, Off The Wall Friday, Beauties Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts, Oh Scrap!, Slow Sunday Stitching.

Free Motion Mavericks


Last week we had six FMQ link ups. Yeah!!! Thanks everyone for linking up. 😊

Denise at the Quiltery created this beautiful North Carolina Star for the Falling for Accuquilt Challenge. You can check out a close-up of her FMQ here.

Denise's beautiful North Carolina Star 

Margo of MY Quilts and Crafts designed and quilted this lovely modern baby quilt. It's a real beauty. You can find out more about it on her post.

Margo's modern baby quilt

Sandra of mmm quilts has been working on this quilt for many years. It celebrates 150 Canadian Women. Make sure that you read her post and see close-ups of some of the blocks!

150 Canadian Women quilt - 7 years in the making!

Gail had another beautiful finish! She quilted "Splendor" using 3 Silly Moon's rulers. 

"Splendor" finished by Gail

Anja finished FMQ "Blue Skies". This is the first quilt that she has loaded on her new longarm. That is a lovely finish with wavy lines and stippling. It's always difficult to quilt on a new machine. Best of luck!

Anja's "Blue Skies"

Diann of Little Penguin Quilts finished a lovely beach landscape quilt. It was her first landscape quilt, and hopefully not her last. What a great finish and a souvenir of one of her favourite places....I wish I was there too! 😊

Diann's lovely beach landscape quilt

It's now your turn!



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

4 comments:

  1. Oups pour le changement de salle... Bravo pour la vente de tes journaux, tu as fait des heureux ! Les étiquettes de prix sont adorables, quelle bonne idée, j'adore !
    Merci pour le partage ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique pour le beau message. Bonne semaine.

      Delete
  2. These are all lovely, thank you for linking up to Put your foot down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Denise. It was a lot of fun, and most of it came back home...where they belong! lol

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)