Wednesday, May 31, 2023

A Hexie Finish and June's OMG

Welcome to week 433 of Free Motion Mavericks. Can you believe that it's already the end of May? We finally have the weather to prove that Spring is turning into Summer here 😊. I've been watching the new generation of baby chicks being trained and fed by their parents - how incredible! 

May's OMG - Wild Hexies, is finished!


I'm delighted to say that May's One Monthly Goal is fulfilled - one Wild Hexies baby quilt done ✔

Wild Hexies baby quilt - done 😊

I washed it before taking the final pictures because I knew that the amazing texture would come through! There's nothing better than a new quilt washed for the first time.

It's getting very hot so I didn't venture out of the back yard. I still have lots of weeding to do, but at least I did mow the lawn (or what passes for it!) Here are a few glamour shots in my humble back yard!

In the dappled sun

On the grown - at an angle

On the picnic table

On the chair 

As I mentioned this was my May OMG. I made it with only 2 hours to spare! This post will be a "two for" since I'll be posting my June OMG goal below.

June's One Monthly Goal (OMG)


My June OMG is to cut and prepare all of my niece's t-shirts for her t-shirt quilt. I have started cutting them up. I want to have all of them backed with the special interfacing by the end of June, so that I can design the quilt. The entire quilt needs to be finished by September!

Some of the t-shirts for the quilt


What I learned
  • Other than the issue with my darning foot, this quilt FMQ very well. 
  • If it wasn't a baby quilt, I would not have quilted it with different designs since they are very difficult to see - but I'm hoping that this will make it a great discovery quilt!
  • It's now time to work a little more on my niece's t-shirt quilt. I figure that I just need a couple of days with the large ironing board out, to get the interfacing onto all of those t-shirts.
  • I have no idea about placement and such - the quilt will tell me 😊.
  • I'm hoping that I have a couple of days to finish my May Table Scraps Challenge - it just needs to be quilted. The party finished tonight, so I have linked up my in-progress piece from Instagram, to the linking party.
  • After that, I do have to focus on my houses. Since it's going to be hot, I hope to get some quality time in my studio!
Meanwhile in my back yard...

New generation of chicks learning to survive!

Related links
 
Linking parties
I linked this post up to Meadow Mist Designs' Favorite Finish Monthly link-up.

Free Motion Mavericks


Quilting Gail has finished another Hugs and Kisses quilt - I just love these colours! She FMQ it using a  "c" design. It looks great! I just love using FMQ designs based on letters since I do have that memory motor totally absorbed. 

Gail's wonderful Hugs and Kisses quilt

FMQ design of curly c's
It's now your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

22 comments:

  1. Your hexie quilt is really lovely! Hope that you'll have lots of fun with the T-shirt quilt too. Happy quilting, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I'm afraid that I haven't worked on the t-shirt quilt since my post - just too many houses to make!

      Delete
  2. Nice job on your quilt finish, and good luck on your June goal too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne-Marie. I'm afraid that I haven't touched my June project yet but it will need to get done this summer!

      Delete
  3. The hexie quilt is fun and gorgeous! I will be starting a tee shirt at some point. Will be eager to see how yours goes together b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, since I haven't touched the t-shirt quilt yet, I'm looking forward to see how it goes together too lol!

      Delete
  4. I love your hexie quilt! Congratulations on the finish and good luck with your next OMG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Raewyn - I'm so behind on everything! Looking forward to catching up with your blog too!

      Delete
  5. Such a cute and colorful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great name for the baby quilt. Each time I look at it my eye discovers new patterns in the layout. As you say, it will make a great discovery quilt for its recipient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwyned - it is a tad on the wild side lol!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your lovely finish. The baby/infant/toddler will love looking for the designs as they get older...all they while being wrapped in your love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathleen. I still haven't made the label, but we're all so busy that we'll probably only see them at the end of the summer!

      Delete
  8. Bravo pour ce beau quilt terminé ! J'aime bien tes hexagones, et le quilt est très gai.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how pretty your baby hexie quilt is. Love all those colourful hexies. Lovely quilting, too. I think hexies make the world go round. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your wild hexies quilt looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on a fun finish. T-shirts quilts can be fun, good luck with your June OMG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I've been so busy with the house quilt that I haven't even touched the t-shirt quilt yet. Oh well, I do work better under pressure unfortunately!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)