Monday, April 03, 2023

March Finishes and April OMG

When I looked at the Joyful Quilter's blog, I was thrilled to see that I had until April 4th to finish and post my ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge for March. The colour was green and the letters were B and/or U. I chose B for Microwave Fabric BOWLS.  

Green Microwave Fabric Bowls


I made these a few years ago (I can't believe that it's been over 6 years ago!) and have always intended to make more since I have a few requests for them. So I'm happy to have done the March ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge and now have a few fabric bowls to give away.

Green Microwave Fabric Bowls

Since I don't like making something more than once, I decided to make these production style, otherwise after having made one, I would have called it done ✔ 

Fabric and batting all ready to start stitching

I marked all of the batting and then sewed the darts on each of them. The longest part was trimming the darts and then the batting, once the bowls were stitched inside out. I only forgot once to leave an opening to turn them right sides out! 😊

Once I made the first bowl, to make sure that it would work out, I finished making the bowls assembly-style. I even stitched the centre of the four larger bowls. Three of the bowls have a spiral shape in the middle. This large one got a house FMQ in the middle!

I FMQ the inside of this bowl in the shape of a house 😊

I'm trying to take better pictures of my pieces, so here are a few!

The tulips are about as open as they can be!

You can see the spiral in the centre of the light green bowl

A stack of microwave fabric bowls


April One Monthly Goal (OMG)


I worked on my Wild Hexies baby quilt this weekend. My OMG for the month of April is to finish this quilt. Here is the latest. It's very difficult to see, but I finished the bottom row of FMQ with waves, sailboats and fish. The FMQ designs are from Lori Kennedy.

FMQ the bottom row with waves, boats and fish

Sailboat on the waves

What I learned
  • The assembly line method worked well for making these 5 microwave bowls. If my fabric and batting hadn't been cut, I probably would have stopped at one or two!
  • The only thing that I did differently was to FMQ a spiral at the bottom of the larger bowls. 
  • I made one 9" bowl, three 10" bowls and one 12" bowl. The last time I have made an 8" bowl, but it's rather tiny - I think that 9" will be a little more useful.
  • As I mentioned in my original post, I don't generally use the microwave bowls during the microwave process. I find that it changes the amount of time and temperature of what is being cooked. I tend to just use them as a pad to put the bowl into, once it comes out of the microwave.
  • These really wash well, so making a mess is not really a problem (except for the mess itself!).

Related links
Linking parties


20 comments:

  1. The microwave bowl cozies are one of the most useful things ever dreamed up! And perfect for those cold bowls of ice cream too. I think we probably can never have too many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, this is Annie (Annie’s Musings)

      Delete
  2. I have some bowl cozies on my list to make sometime soon - thanks for the inspiration! I like the green house print you made yours out of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My brother is getting those two as a house warming present. I'll have to tell him about the ice cream - he'll appreciate that!

      Delete
  3. J'adore ton mini quilt "Tea Room", et les protège-bols sont une super idée. Le tissu avec les maisons est très mignon, bonne idée de quilter une maison aussi sur le fond. Bonnes finitions pour le quilt objectif du mois !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique - Les deux protège-bols, avec le tissu maison vont à mon frère. Je suis certaine qu'il les utiliseront beaucoup.

      Delete
  4. Love, love, LOVE your Wild Hexie project, Andree, and your BOWL cozies turned out great for the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge!! Thank for joining in. Assembly line sewing was perfect for these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyful, I really need to get back to the Wild Hexies. A row of cars is next, after that it's all new designs that I'll need to practice first :-)

      Delete
  5. Fabulous projects to be seen here. Love the fabric choices and the quilting lines are so pretty. You are very skilled, Andree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn. I really need to get back to my OMG - that one is definitely a skill builder!

      Delete
  6. That Tea Room hanging is adorable!!! And love the tiny sailboat!!! Great job on getting some bowl cozies made for gifting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. I made that Tea Room hanging years ago and still love it! The sailboats came out well, although most are pretty difficult to see. I really need to keep going on the FMQ since it's my OMG. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  7. Production line sewing is the best way to do those bowl cozies. One Christmas season I made more than 50! It was insane, and I haven't made them since. LOL ;) Thanks for partying with me in the Sew & Tell parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Melva, 50?!!! I can understand why you haven't made more since. Everyone you know must have some :-)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. They have all been gifted so it was very productive and useful :-)

      Delete
  9. I can relate on the production sewing. I could see the quilting and it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne-Marie. I only use production sewing when it's not very inspiring and to make sure that I don't stop after the first one :-)

      Delete
  10. So funny....I always make my cozies production style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marsha, that's the only way to ensure that I'll make more than 1 :-)

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)