Thursday, September 08, 2022

Wildflower Vest on Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome to week 398 of Free Motion Mavericks. I hope that you've had a chance to play this week. I did 😊 

Dynamic Wildflowers in Stitch Workshop

I've been wanting to free motion quilt (FMQ) the wildflowers in Jo Hill's July workshop on TextileArtist.org's Stitch Club. Since I wasn't up to tackling Version 2.0 this week, I thought that this would be a quick FMQ project - and it was!

The back of my Wildflower Vest

The first step was cutting up shaped for the flowers. I decided to use some bright batik scraps. You essentially cut up large circles for the large flower (red), some elongated triangles (green), cut up some strips (purple) and some small circles (light blue).

Placing the batik fabrics

After placing some Heat & Bond Ultra Hold at the back of the batik, I cut everything up and then placed these on the back of a old denim vest. I actually used the back of the red batik because it was a little less bright! 

After ironing these down, I used some regular black cotton thread for the FMQ. I did use a larger needle (a topstitch 100) and it went very well. I mostly followed Jo's sample to piece and quilt the flowers. I wanted to see how it would turn out before I started experimenting.

Fun FMQ with black thread

I really love how the black thread looks against the batiks and the denim. I was thinking of adding either different coloured thread or embroidery but I think that I'll leave the back as is. I can always experiment with the front.

What I learned

  • Since I had the ultra hold of the Heat and Bond, I thought that I would try it on the denim. That was probably a good idea.
  • It was great to use some lovely batik scraps for this project. 
  • I might consider using a thicker thread next time - I have some nice stuff, somewhere...
  • I'm looking forward to FMQ the front of the vest. There is less space since there are pockets, but the long vertical space could be cool!😎
  • I've also been thinking about other jackets and such that I could use this technique with. That would be a lot of fun!
  • If you like this style, check out Jo Hill's website (see below). She has really lovely work. She also offers some FMQ courses online that look interesting. She is a great teacher.

Related links

Linking parties

I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Why not check them out, after you've linked up your project below! Midweek Makers, Put your foot down, Needle & Thread ThursdayTGIFFPeacock PartyOff The Wall Friday, Finished or Not Finished Friday, Patchwork & QuiltsOh Scrap!, Monday Making, Design Wall Monday


Free Motion Mavericks

Did you see Sandra's lovely Grapefruit Pizzazz quilt last time? I so love those colours - they look good enough to eat!

Grapefruit Pizzazz quilt by Sandra at mmm quilts

It's now your turn!


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. Oh là là, mais comme c'est beau ! Brillante idée ! Le fil noir va trÚs bien aussi. Je suis allée voir le site de Jo, elle fait des merveilles.
    Merci pour le partage !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci bien Frédérique, j'aime beaucoup ses oeuvres. Bonne semaine :-)

      Delete
  2. I kinda like that black thread too, interesting design. For some reason the form keeps telling me my URL is invalid. Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, sorry to hear about the form - who knows what's going on with computers and site!

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful idea - wearable art. I really like how the bold colours work with the black thread :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, I thought that the black would add something to the piece. I'm now working on the front since it's still too hot to wear it yet!

      Delete
  4. What a cool artpiece that you can wear!!! LOVE the designs on it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)