I made several scrappy potholders for the May Table Scraps Challenge. The colours were hunter green and sage and the theme was squares.
Finding the perfect pattern
On Mondays, I usually link up my latest post to Beth's Monday Making linking party. Last week, I fell in love with her Chevron Potholders. I watched her video and then decided that I would make a couple of them in green.
These are my first two. There is lots of green in them, and some of those greens are sage or forest 😊
|Green chevron potholders - the first two|
It was only after I finished the first two potholders that I went back to the instructions and realised that there should be squares involved! Of course I didn't clue in that the potholders are square! So I made another potholder with pieced squares to make the chevron pattern. They are now green and square but don't really look like chevrons any more. 😁
|The chevron pattern is sort of lost but it is pretty!|
Things I learned from watching and using Beth's technique.
- Instead of using batting, Beth used old towels. That is truly brilliant😀 I have many towels that are stained with hair dye. It's a perfect use for them because you don't need loft, just a layer of protection!
|Using an old towel instead of batting|
- Beth attaches her binding from the back. I followed her instructions in the video and they came out well, but for my next potholder, I'm going to watch the video that she made specifically for attaching the binding from the back. I'm sure that she'll have a few tips worth watching.
|The back is quilt-as-you-go|
When I realised that my white thread was showing up on the back, I decided to switch to a green one.
|The first chevron potholder|
|The second chevron potholder|
|A blue chevron potholder awaiting the binding|
- My chevrons didn't form a straight line in the middle like Beth's did, so I stopped trying and used strips of different widths.
- I'm usually more conservative when choosing fabric colours such that if they are supposed to be green, then I only use green fabrics with no other colours on them. I changed it up and I'm really happy with the results. As long as there was some green in the fabric, that was good enough for me :-)
- There are many squirrels in this potholder project. It was nice to make things other than what was on my list.