Thursday, August 20, 2020

FMQ a mini on Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome to Free Motion Mavericks, Week 294. I interrupt my regular programming (I've always wanted to say that!) to bring you a free motion quilted (FMQ) finish! 😊

"Ça va bien aller" is finished!

My August One Monthly Goal (OMG) stitched mini is finished! I couldn't wait to show it off - I'm really happy with it, and most importantly, so is my daughter (it's for her).

"Ça va bien aller" mini is finished!

You may remember that at the beginning of August, I wrote a post about the start of this mini. It was created as part of TextileArtist.org's workshop with Haf Weighton, a textile artist from Wales. The assignment was to stitch up a medal or other embroidered piece using words and appliqué. You can read more about the expression, "Ça va bien aller" in my last post and in an article on CBC News in Related links below.

After deciding on where to place the appliqué pieces, I embroidered parts of it.

Embroidering the appliqué

For a change, I had actually planned this piece out, leaving about a two inch border around the appliqué so that I could turn the background fabric over and make a facing. You can see in the picture above that I used a Frixion pen to mark the borders. I then added the batting and the backing fabric and basted it down.

The next step was to do some FMQ within the appliquéd part since there was no way that I could do this by hand and get it finished by the end of August.

FMQ the appliqué

You can see the back here after I've FMQ the appliqué. It was then time to stitch the back facing and then FMQ the rest of the piece.

The facing is ready to be stitched
The back when the FMQ is finished











What I learned

  • I am really happy that I took the time to plan out how I was going to finish this mini. It made everything so much easier. I REALLY hope that I remember to do that again. 😊
  • I really like the embroidery with the FMQ. It's great to be able to use different techniques and they really play well together!
  • One lesson that I didn't learn from my last post was to start on the FMQ of the star more than a day before the post is due. That didn't happen and I ended up finishing this piece instead. I have a couple of days off next week and I plan on working on the stars. Wouldn't it be awesome to have it done ahead of time? I almost can't imagine :-)

Related links

Linking parties

I will be linking up to many fun linking parties, including the August One Monthly Goal link. I also hope that if you're visiting that you will link up also. You don't have to be doing FMQ to join the fun! Long Arm Learning, Put Your Foot Down, Needle & Thread Thursday, Colour & Inspiration Tuesday, Midweek Makers, To-Do Tuesday, TGIFFShow Me Something Free Motion Link up, Slow Sunday Stitching, Off The Wall Friday, Friday Foto Fun, Beauties Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts, Oh Scrap!, Monday Making, Design Wall Monday, What I Made Monday

I'm calling this a squirrel - it might be a while in the making but it did spring up...and includes 2 squirrels! I'm linking up with Sandra at DrEAMi! This is also my Favorite Finish Monthly Linkup with Meadow Mist Designs.

I also linked this post up to Sarah Goer's Show Me Something That's a Gift.

Update: This mini quilt was also exhibited at the Stittsville Library in December 2020. You can see Connie's posts of the show in her blog, Connie's Textile Art.


Free Motion Mavericks

Thank you to everyone who linked up last time! It's always a pleasure to see what you are working on!

Last time Gretchen of Gretchen's Little Corner posted her finished quilt. What a lovely quilt - and FMQ with spirals. She did a really great job! If you haven't read her post, you really want to see this (after you link up of course!)

Gretchen's beautiful quilt with FMQ spirals

Before we get to the link up, Muv and I have an announcement to make 😁. You may have noticed that we are getting very close to Free Motion Maverick's 300th post!  On the 300th post, which will occur on October 1st if my calculations are correct, Muv and I will both be hosting special link ups. Stay tuned for more details in a couple of weeks!

Now it's your turn! 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

16 comments:

  1. Nothing new to share this week, it's all secret sewing. I really like your piece and love your background fabric. Either I have to stop visiting you or try my hand at dying fabric. Thank you for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. I hope that you won't stop visiting :-) Tomorrow I'm hoping to do some sun printing if the sun shows up. This is done with fabric paint so I'm looking forward to trying it. Good luck with your secret sewing. Take care.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful. All the different elements combine to create a really cheerful and summery piece :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janine. I'm happy to say that my daughter loves it. I just need to put a sleeve on it and a label and then she can hang it up! Take care.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful little mini, and I do love the saying en français comme ça. :-) I bet your daughter adores it too! Woo hoo for a major post coming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. She really loves it! I saw your post - what a great finish. Congrats and thanks for linking up! Take care.

      Delete
  4. Awesome mini finish!!! I appreciated seeing your backing photos, before and after, both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, I love learning from others how they actually put things together - so I like to share how I've done it too. Thanks for dropping by. Take care.

      Delete
  5. This came out fabulous, Andree! Does “Ca va bien aller” mean “it’s good to go?” The mix of appliqué, embroidery and free motion quilting is so effective. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca, "Ça va bien aller" means it will be fine, or it will all turn out ok. It's so perfect for what we are going through. I'm glad that it turned out. I just couldn't see myself doing all of the stitching by hand! Take care.

      Delete
  6. Great job Andree! It is a delightful project to breath in! I love all the colors and tiny little elements as well as the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It was a joy to make and my daughter loves it - so it's a success! Take care.

      Delete
  7. Lovely! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Patty. It was just the incentive that I needed to get this done! Take care.

      Delete
  8. Your mini is absolutely adorable. How could anyone feel anything but happiness looking at it? Thanks for sharing your process, too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)