|Canada Quilt by Michelle Gagné
|Quilts completed for
Canada`s Biggest Quilt Bee
As for Canada`s Biggest Quilt Bee, our guild members have completed over 30 quilts and over a hundred blocks. I handed in my 6 blocks at the meeting since I`m not likely to finish a quilt top before they send these to Toronto.
The postcard quilt made last fall by guild members is part of the Eastern Ontario Inter-Guild Canada 150 Celebration Trunk Show. It will be travelling across eastern Ontario and can be seen at local quilt shows. If you live in the area, look out for it!
|Common Thread Quilt Guild Canada 150 Postcard Quilt
Since hosting these Celebrate - Fêtons 150 posts, I figured that I should be working on something for the celebrations. Do you remember this free pattern of the Canada 150 logo? Well, it's coming along. The paper piecing went well, although I learned a lot (from my many mistakes). Not the pattern's fault. I also want to make it longer to include the words "Canada 150, 1867 - 2017".
|This picture has 2 obvious mistakes..
can you spot them?
This first image is both pre-ironed and pre-fixed - if you enlarge it, you may see that there is a piece of white missing between the top blue and yellow pieces. That was the easy mistake to fix. I used the Crafted Appliqué method to add a small piece of white fabric. It will be fine once it's quilted.
The other obvious mistake is not easily fixed. I would have had to start that section over and undo a lot more since I didn't realize my mistake until I started putting the sections together. We all make mistakes and I can live with this one. It sure will make my logo easy to spot compared to anyone else's!
|Canada 150 logo - all paper pieced
Here are a few other quilty ideas found on the internet,
Maple Leaf Quilt Block Flag by denna's ideas
Denna made this for the 50th anniversary of the Canadian flag a couple of years ago. She explains how she did it in her blog. (See the link in Related Links below)
|Maple Leaf Quilt Block Flag
by denna's ideas
|Purely Canadian Quilt Pattern
by Quilts by Jen
Purely Canadian Quilt Pattern by Quilts by Jen
Here is another quilt pattern celebrating aspects of Canada.
What I learned
- It always takes me a while to get into paper piecing. It's like I partially forget how to do it.
- The Canada 150 logo was relatively easy to follow, but I did find it tricky to put the finished pieces together. I don't think that it was the pattern, rather I need to stop when I'm tired before I make all of those mistakes!
- I did make a few mistakes - some that I could easily fix and others that I would have had to start the pieces over. Since I could live with the mistakes, I decided to leave the piece as is. We can call them slight creative modifications :-)
- I'm happy to report that I've found space in my home for a couple of the art quilts I recently made. It's great to live with them!
- Common Thread Quilt Guild - more photos of the quilts made for Canada's Biggest Quilt Bee and the Postcard Quilt in our April newsletter.
- Festival of Quilts 2017
- Free paper pieced pattern of the Canada 150 logo by Dana Szucs Hayde of SeaSew
- Maple Leaf Quilt Block Flag by denna's ideas
- Purely Canadian Quilt Pattern by Quilts by Jen
- Sew Fresh Quilts by Lorna
- Celebrate - Fêtons 150 in April
Here is the button, if you want to add it to your blog!
Linking Parties: I will be linking to many great link-ups. Check out what everyone is doing! MOP Monday, Monday Making, Moving it Forward Monday, Oh Scrap!, Let's Bee Social, Linky Tuesday, Main Crush Monday, Midweek Makers, Needle & Thread Thursday, Off the Wall Friday,