Saturday, October 03, 2026

Iceland Fairy House for Quilter's Cove Linking Party

Hi and welcome to our monthly Quilter's Cove link up. We've been making colourful houses bases on the Rainbow Scraps Challenge colours. We're now on the September house, which is purple. So far, this might be my favourite house. I'm collaborating with Kat of Scrapbox Quilts. She organised it and I'm hosting 😀. It's been a lot of fun and we're planning on creating a Quilt-A-Long for next year, so stay tuned.


Icelandic Fairy House


I've been wanting to make at least one more Fairy House for my quilt. Since we're planning a trip to Iceland, hopefully in 2027, I was inspired by their traditional turf houses and the fact that Iceland is a magical country where you can find lots of Fairy Houses (and Fairies of course, if you believe!) 

Icelandic purple Fairy House

Here is a closeup.

A closeup of the house and Fairy

Finally, a process picture, before I sewed it together.

Process photo before sewing it together

What I learned
  • I looked at a lot of photos on the internet of traditional houses in Iceland. I couldn't resist making a turf house. While most turf houses where made with timber, I did see a few pictures of some made of stone.
  • Iceland had many fairy houses. The pictures I saw were not turf houses. They are usually very small wooden traditional houses. I've exercised artistic license in making my purple house 😀. If you're interested in learning more about turf houses in Iceland, see Related links below.
  • A lot of the turf houses in Iceland are located near mountains and grass, so that's where I place my house. I used different fabric but most importantly different thread to FMQ the grass. You can see from the process photo that the grass was all similar in tone. So to differentiate the areas, I used a light green/gray thread for the areas next to the house, and a brighter green for the area in the foreground.
  • The colours for the October house is neutrals in dark and/or light.
Related Links

Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. You may want to check some out! I Quilted This! Put your foot down, Off The Wall Friday, Finished (Or Not) Friday, Sew & Tell, Design Wall Monday, 


It's now your turn 😍

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)