Thursday, September 10, 2026

Playing and I Quilted This!

Bonjour and welcome ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I spent most of the day outside playing with hexies - that was nice ๐Ÿ˜ I'm writing this ahead of time since I'll be in Toronto for my semi-annual eye exam. I used to be able to stitch in the car but not anymore. That means that not much will get done quilting wise, so I may as well prepare this post before I go. 

Playing with FMQ Designs


As you saw last week, I finally started quilting Square Dance, a baby quilt. Since then I've been FMQ one block per day. I'm so excited - it's pure play. Of course I said that I would keep it simple but you know me...a chance to practice and play with FMQ. I just can't help it. ๐Ÿ˜

Since the first block I FMQ just had straight lines, I wanted to add some curves into the next one.

Straight lines with "C" curves

The next one, on the turquoise background was FMQ with Lori Kennedy's Swirling Stars. I drew the design on the fabric with a white chalk pen.

Swirling Stars

The maroon block has a pickle ball fabric in the middle, so I practiced drawing on paper and then on the fabric, pickle ball pallets and balls. The rest was FMQ with squiggly lines.

FMQ pickle ball pallets and squiggly lines

Summer Hexies Sew Along

As well as playing with FMQ, I also spent time doing EPP (English Paper Piecing), the wreath for the Summer Hexies Sew Along. 

This is what I have done so far.

Hexie Wreath so far

Another double flower

I now have 10 single hexie flowers and 4 double hexie flowers. Now I need to make one double hexie flower and 8 single hexie flowers and the leaves. It's coming along nicely ๐Ÿ˜Š


Focus & Flow Course

I'm taking the Focus and Flow course offered by Fibre Arts Take Two. The course is taught by Karen Olson. It's a mindful eco-art program. Our first project was a teabag paper journal. I used inks for a few of the pages and then used a branch from my yard to put into the spine. The book is tied with sari yarn.


Teabag paper journal

It was a windy day - the pages wanted to dance

If you're wondering. teabag paper is a translucent paper that feels a lot like tissue paper. It's very durable and takes paint quite well. Apparently if you want to work with Japanese papers, this is an inexpensive way to get used to them.

What I learned
  • I made the teabag paper journal a while back and have finally returned to the course. I've missed making books so it's great to be back into it. This is definitely from an arts perspective.
  • Playing with hexies outside for most of the day was very relaxing. I'm motivated to finish the wreath since it's more than half done.
  • Choosing fabric that plays well with the initial fabrics I bought has been fun. A little variety is a very good thing!
  • FMQ the Square Dance quilt has been fun, from figuring out the designs to practicing them and then drawing them on the fabric. As I've said before, it's a good thing that I'm pretty good at following lines ๐Ÿ˜€ 
Related links
Linking parties


I Quilted This!


Welcome to the I Quilted This! linking party that celebrates quilting on a domestic machine or custom quilting on a long-arm. Feel free to link up and share any recent project, even if you're not quilting it! 

Here are the posts that included FMQ, ruler work and walking foot quilting last week. Thanks for linking up ๐Ÿ˜Š and consider grabbing the button. 

Kat of Scrapbox Quilts made another lovely Lil Bear Hug quilt. This one is yellow and purple - the August and September colours.

Kat's yellow and purple Lil Bear Hug quilt

Terry from On Going Projects has been quilting her Butterfly collage project. Here's a peak.

Terry is FMQ her Butterfly collage project.

Diann at Little Penguin Quilts has finished her lovely Patchwork Hearts quilt. She quilted-as-you-go. If you're curious, read about the process on her post!

Diann's Patchwork Hearts quilt

Preeti at Sew Preeti Quilts quilted a lovely quilt that she called Jeni's Colorado. You'll want to read all about it.

Preeti's latest quilt, Jeni's Colorado

Vicki from Vicki's Crafts and Quilting has been busy. You'll want to check out her post. Here are a couple of fall quilts that she finished.

Vicki's fall wall hanging - check it out!

Vicki's sunflower table runner

Gail of Quilting Gail made the cutest baby quilt. You'll want to read the story behind it. She quilted it with the Rocket Ruler by Silly Moon.

There's a dog on my quilt by Gail

Details of the ruler quilting by Gail

It's now your turn ๐Ÿ˜


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

17 comments:

  1. Your quilting on the baby quilt is beautiful! The hexie flowers are lovely, you are going to have a cute quilt, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gretchen. I was on a roll and then fizzed out. Hopefully I'll get back to the baby quilt on the weekend!

      Delete
  2. What fun fillers you are coming up with to quilt that baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! Of course now that I've done some obvious ones, I'm struggling a bit with what comes next, but I'm sure I'll figure it out :-)

      Delete
  3. Those hexies look great. That teabag paper looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally. The teabag paper is going to be great with experimenting, especially for collage. I'll post my experiments!

      Delete
  4. FMQ without any pressure, just all playful, really is fun, and for me, liking watching fish in a tank, so meditative. Square Dance is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, it can be very meditative, when you're in the flow. I hope to get back to the FMQ soon.

      Delete
  5. Your quilting looks great and your teabag journal is interesting. I like the way you have bound it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine. It's been fun trying out these new things and I love adding natural elements to my work when I can :-)

      Delete
  6. Ton FMQ est trรจs rรฉussi, j'aime beaucoup les courbes du bloc des tortues. Je vais tester le crayon bleu qui s'efface ร  l'eau, pour marquer les motifs de quilting, je trouve que la craie laisse toujours des marques. Jolies fleurs, et expรฉrience de teinture ! Bises

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonne chance Frรฉdรฉrique, avec les crayons - ce n'est vraiment pas facile de trouver le crayon parfait car รงa dรฉpend beaucoup du tissu. J'espรจre bien retourner au FMQ bientรดt. Pas toujours facile aprรจs un petit break. Bises

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you've been busy on several different fronts. The tea paper journal is really pretty. All the quilting you've done so far is really fun. Hope you have more time for all of that this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, it did have some time but ended up using it to listen to audiobooks! I guess I might have done to much last week. I can't seem to sustain it but that's ok - self-care is also important :-)

      Delete
  8. Love the Baby quilt. And the hexies are so pretty. Enjoy your eye exam??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alycia. We had a good time in Toronto, despite the eye exam. It went well but it looks like I won't get my eyesight back in my right eye. Oh well, I'm slowly getting used to it :-) Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  9. I love seeing your different practice motifs for FMQ. I used to watch Lori Kennedy a lot. She is great. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)