Thursday, September 19, 2024

Scrap Play and Free Motion Mavericks

Hi and welcome. Today I'll share with you the scrappy mug rugs that I made for my son's niece. She loves playing with mug rugs, so what could be easier? They are so much fun to make. I also have more Floral Fusion blocks. It's looking very cool 😎

Scrappy Mug Rugs


At the last Common Thread Quilt Guild meeting, I picked up a lot of fun scraps. With only a couple of additions from my own scrap bins, I made 5 mug rugs. They are so cute!

Five mug rugs and friends

I used four of the scrappy fabrics for the centre and then added two or more borders to finish them off. I used the envelope method again, so no binding needed. I got the order of the fabrics right but managed to inverse the backing of the last two mug rugs. It's a good thing that the back of those fabrics look fine.

My last two mug rugs have backing that is the wrong side of the fabric.
Good thing they still look fine 😊

Here are the five mug rugs. Aren't the fabrics cute?

Cute animal fabric

Gotta love those sweet flamingos and the border fabric

Alice in Wonderland scrap looks great

A couple of gorgeous sloths. 

The centre of this mug rug was a strip of black and white fabric sewn together. It made for a great mug rug.
 
Neutral mug rug

Another fun shot

More Floral Fusion Blocks


I've made a few more Floral Fusion blocks. Here they are all together. I have no idea how I'll organise them since I don't think that I want to make a full quilt. We'll see.

All the blocks so far

My two blocks 8 don't have the best contrast but I think that they'll look fine when everything is together. Otherwise, I'll just make more!

Block 8

Another Block 8

Block 1 and 7

Block 2 and 7



















What I learned
  • I was really happy about getting my pillowcase method done properly until I noticed that the back fabric of the last two mug rugs was backwards.
  • I'm lucky that they look fine - the colour is just less sharp.
  • The Floral Fusion blocks are doing well. I was a little disappointed in the look of the blocks 8. I thought that they would pop more. You can blame the problem on value. It looks like too much of the fabric has the same value. I'll have to watch out for that.
Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties including The Quiltery's Floral Fusin Sew Along. Check them out after you've linked up below! Monday Musings, Design Wall Monday, Sew & Tell, Midweek Makers, Put your foot down, Needle & Thread Thursday,

Free Motion Mavericks    


Welcome to week 499 of Free Motion Mavericks! Thank you to all who linked up their projects. Here are the projects from last week that included FMQ, ruler work or walking foot quilting. 

Both of our featured quilts were part of the Island Batik: Adventurous Appliqué Blog Hop. Both quilters used the Edge-Coloring Appliqué method. You can watch a video on their posts.

First we have Quilting Gail. Gail used her machine's fancy stitches for the appliqué. What a great quilt!

Six lovely appliquéd pieces

One of the many lovely butterflies

Brenda of Songbird Designs appliquéd her whimsical Floral Fauna. What a beauty!

Floral Fauna by Brenda

Look at all of those flowers making up the butterfly!

It's now your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)