This is the second post about my Embroidered Botany Workshop with Amanda McCavour. You can find the first post in Related links below.
This was actually the first day of the weekend virtual workshop. We used an assortment of mixed-media to fill in our embroidered botany piece. During the workshop I made a flower and that evening, since I was so inspired, I made a second piece - an Allium flower.
On that first day, we made our sample using FMQ on both the Sulky Solvy and Fabri-Solvy. The Sulky Solvy sticks to itself when ironed, so it's really great at trapping bits of yarn, thread and roving between its layers. The Fabri-Solvy is much stronger and so will handle a lot of free motion quilting (FMQ) or thread painting.
|Allium made of thread and yarn|
|Draw the image on the Sulky Solvy|
|Keep adding to fill in the space|
|Cover your filled flower with another layer of Sulky Solvy|
then cover with a protective cloth and iron
Translucent project in the making
|First two pieces pinned on the curtain|
- There is so much potential in this technique. Flowers could be made with the mixed-media or just thread, like the sculptured flower. The thread-only flowers don't have to be sculptured and I'm looking forward to trying them out.
- I've been thinking about this project for over a year, so I think that it's going to be a medium term project over the next few years.
- Embroidered Botany Workshop at Free Motion Mavericks, July 07, 2021
- Amanda McCavour
- Translucent meanderings, November 01, 2020
- Sulky Solvy water soluble stabilizer
Free Motion Mavericks
|Quilts Plus BOM top quilted at Chrisknits|
|Quilting Gail's Never Too Early project|