Saturday, June 19, 2021

A quilt sandwich and housekeeping

Hi! If you follow or read other blogs, you will have heard by now that there are some changes happening. The service that lets you subscribe to the blog, so that you automatically receive it by email is ending. That's got a lot of bloggers scrambling to transfer their subscriber list to another service.

Welcome Mailchimp service

Thanks to the wonderful work of my fellow bloggers, in particular Frédérique of Quilting Patchwork Appliqué for being brave, trying it out and then writing a post on how to do this. She wrote great instructions so between the Mailchimp how-to articles and her posts, I was able to successfully (I hope) transfer my subscription service.

I have designed a very simple email that will go to your mailbox once this blog post is published. I have to thank you ahead of time for your patience as I experiment with the format of the email that you will receive. With any luck none of the email services will throw the email in your spam bin. It may, however, end up in your Promotions folder. 

So, to ensure that this post is not a wall of words, here is my son's Version 2.0 quilt as it was getting sandwiched at my girlfriend's place on Monday.

Version 2.0 has been sandwiched

We pinned it together on Monday and today I adjusted the pins because as you know, no matter how well you keep the layers taunt, there is always some puckering on the other side. I am pleased to say that the puckering was minimal and I was able to adjust the pins on my kitchen table. 

Usually I have to adjust many, many times but today it was just once from the back and only a little bit on the front. I owe a big thank you to Lyne for helping me out (and giving me a haircut) 😊

Minimal puckering on the back

Just minor adjustments











This evening I basted the quilt, starting in the middle and going outward. The pins have now all been removed and I'm ready to quilt in the ditch. The next step is deciding on all of the threads and making some small samples to try them out. 

Upcoming event

Next week will be a busy blogging week since I am participating in the Fairy Tales Blog Hop, hosted by CalicoJoan of MooseStach Quilting. It's only going to be about the blogging since my piece was finished last week - I know, incredible!


So join us next week (I'm on Tuesday) for some fun fairy tale themed quilts.

What I learned

  • I am not eager for change, especially when things are working - so going from Feedburner to Mailchimp was not my idea of fun. I really, really hope that this will work out. Don't be shy to give me feedback on the email.
  • This was probably the easiest sandwiching that I've done, other than tiny quilts! Mom was probably watching over me to make sure that it went smoothly 😊
  • I will be hosting Free Motion Mavericks next week - so drop by to see how the FMQ is going.
Related links

Linking parties

I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties, include with Muv who is hosting Free Motion Mavericks this week. Patchwork & Quilts, Monday Making,  



13 comments:

  1. Mailchimp looks like it is for businesses. How did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jocelyn, it's free if you don't use it that much (as in not too many posts per month or too many subscribers). I used Frédérique's instructions (https://quiltingpatch.blogspot.com/) and Mailchimp's how-to. Wasn't easy but after a few tries it worked out. The first thing you have to do is upload your subscriber list from Feedburner. Good luck. There are lots of tutorials out there to check out.

      Delete
  2. Glad your basting went well! I have been using Mailchimp for awhile and have been pleased with it. I figure the influx from Feedly will cause some change at Mailchimp, but I really hope not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen, I'm also glad the basting went well :-) So far so good with Mailchimp. I didn't de-activate Feedburner so people are getting two emails but that will end next week. Take care.

      Delete
  3. I still have to make the change over! How's Mailchimp working so far? Love your son's new quilt in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nancy. Mailchimp is going well. Right now it's mostly going into people's spam mail I suspect but hopefully that will stop once Feedburner stops sending notices. Take care and good luck!

      Delete
  4. I couldn't find her post about mailchimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I think that it may have gone to your spam box. If not, if you want to subscribe, I suggest that you use the new button. Hopefully that will work. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Hi, I wasn't sure what you meant. Frédérique's post is here: https://quiltingpatch.blogspot.com/2021/05/feedburner-email-subscriptions.html

      Delete
  5. Thank you Andrée for the mention ;) My post about MailChimp is here if someone needs it: https://quiltingpatch.blogspot.com/2021/05/feedburner-email-subscriptions.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci pour le lien - It's working out ok but we'll see what happens when Feedburner stops working. Bonne semaine!

      Delete
  6. Hello Andrée, Well done with the sandwich! They can be so frustrating.
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Muv. They can be extremely frustrating...and even as I quilt-in-the-ditch I am thrilled that most of my quilts are small :-) Take care.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)