Friday, October 09, 2020

FMQ moose panel finished

Hi! I want to share this UFO finish before it goes to its new home!

FMQ a lovely moose panel

I started Free Motion Quilting (FMQ) the moose panel for my brother's cottage in July of last year. 

FMQ Moose panel ready for its new home

What a difference FMQ adds to the panel. Here is the image of the panel when it was barely quilted. I admit that the lighting isn't as good, but you can see that the fabric is very flat. Now that it's quilted, there is so much more texture.

Moose panel with a bit of FMQ

I had fun taking pictures on our fence - the perfect background next to the burning bush. The only way it could have been better was if I had taken these pictures at my brother's cottage!

Moose posing next to the burning bush

A close-up of the woodgrain FMQ

What I learned

  • As I mentioned in the What I learned from my last post of this project, this panel was very forgiving. It would have been difficult to mess it up.
  • When I left the project in July, I really didn't know how I was going to FMQ the water and sky, or how I was going to finish it.
  • It seems that I had the foresight to put some wooden panel fabric away with this project so that I didn't have to dig around for it when I decided to finish this project. I'm sure I did this because I only had a little bit of the fabric left and didn't want to take the chance to use it all up before finishing this project. Good thinking 😊 (As my son would say, my present self is very proud of my past self!)
  • I still didn't know what to do with the sky, so, as usual, I just jumped in and swirls it was! If I had paid attention, the swirls would have all gone in the same direction but we can blame it on the wind patterns at different altitudes!
  • I am also very happy with the woodgrain FMQ that I did in the white section of the frame. I followed Lori Kennedy's tutorial.

Related links

Linking parties

I'll be linking up to Free Motion Mavericks with Muv this week. Check out the 301st post! This project is also a UFO - so that's one down! I will be linking this one to PHD in 2020, when the next party opens, as well as many other fun link-ups. Let's see what's happening in the wonderful virtual world of quilting 😊. Colour & Inspiration Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Put Your Foot Down, Needle & Thread Thursday, Needle & Thread Thursday, Off the Wall Friday, Finished or Not Finished Friday, Peacock Party, Beauties Pageant, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, TGIFF, Monday Making, Design Wall Monday,

I'm also linking this post to Sarah Goer's Show Me Something That's a Gift

Project details




FMQ Moose panel
19¾" x 22¾"
Materials: commercial panel and lots of thread!
Techniques: free motion quilting



8 comments:

  1. So much fun to see how quilting brings the panel alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwyned, it really is great to see. Thanks for stopping by :-) Take care.

      Delete
  2. oh yes - that quilting makes a huge difference - what a gorgeous panel!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome is that? Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really great example of how the quilting brings the quilt to life. A fitting post for me to read on a Sunday when I don’t usually do any online blog stuff because I did finish Module 8 of Indigenous Studies, a course I’m auditing through the U of Alberta thanks to Dan Levy. The moose is fitting since it actually came up a couple of times in the online live discussion today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing how the quilting has transformed this panel. I feel you started with a quite ordinary picture and you have made it into a work of art :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this panel and how you quilted it. I do swirls for the sky too, it just seems right. Yours looks perfect! Love the movement it gives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Andrée, Perfect present for a brother! I love the way the quilting has given it depth.
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)