Sunday, December 29, 2019

Best of 2019

This year has been very productive if not overwhelming at times. I had a great start to 2019 with many art quilts for two Out of the Box (OOTB) textile artists group exhibition. That kept me creatively fulfilled until I over-did it. After that I enjoyed working on more traditional quilts and minis.

Art Quilts

I made 4 mini art quilts and learned a lot since they had to been seen as a particular colour and were mounted on canvas. It was tricky and my first one was very monochromatic, but they got better as I made more.

Peek-a-boo Red
Blooming Yellow



   











Green Garden Gate





Blue Moon




















I also made a an art quilt based on the art piece, Ultramarine Blue by Ron Martin, which is at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. That was a really great learning experience.

My Blue Painting
My final art quilt of 2019 was Gaïa's Garden.
Gaïa's Garden
Blog Hops and events

This year I joined quite a few blog hops and other events. The first one was Dust off a Quilt Book Blog Hop. I made a Mola. It wasn't an impressive finish but I did learn a lot. The second one was All About Strings Blog Hop. I think that it's my favourite finish of the year. It had everything I love about quilting - improv, scrappy colourful piecing, free motion quilting (FMQ) and hexies!

Tries to Play Nice With Others
I also discovered Project Quilting and joined in the last week. That was both challenging and quick. I'm going to be participating for the full project in 2020.

Chocolate Cravings
For the second year, I participated in One Hundred Days of Hexies on Instagram. It's always enjoyable. I love making the hexies and going out on photo shoots. It's so lovely to see everyone else's hexies.
Beautiful hexies
Lovely creatures










Sewing Notions







Another Instragram project was the Summer Book Club Quilt-Along
It was so much fun making these book blocks. I made individual blocks and finished them as minis.
Bambi book block



The Earth is Not Flat book block









I also used the book block pattern to participate in the Nifty Novelties Blog Hop.

Paddington Bear book block mini
I now have two more colourful UFOs from the Summer Book Club event that are almost done.

Free Motion Quilting

Hosting the Free Motion Mavericks linking party with Muv has been a lot of fun and has made me practice my FMQ so that I have something to show on those days that I host.

My favourite FMQ finish is this Garden and Pond mini. There sure is a lot of thread on that baby😊
Free Motion Quilted Garden and Pond Mini
I also made a few FMQ gifts before the holidays. They were very both practical and a great way to practice FMQ.
FMQ Journal cover
FMQ basket













Second FMQ Journal cover

Second FMQ basket

















Quilts

I finished one UFO quilt, the Epic Neutral Bow Tie Quilt as well as the quilt top on another UFO, Kingfisher Stitch Along Hexie Quilt.

Epic Neutral Bow Tie Quilt 
My Kingfisher Stitch-Along hexie quilt top is finished. I hope that 2020 is the year that I quilt it!

Kingfisher Stitch-Along Quilt Top ready to be FMQ
Linking parties
I am linking this post up to the Best of 2019 Linky Party hosted by Meadow Mist Designs. Thanks so much Cheryl for hosting this great yearly event.
Make sure that you go see what other quilters were up to in 2019! Off the Wall Friday, Friday Foto FunCan I Get A Whoop Whoop?Brag About Your BeautiesPeacock PartyOh Scrap!, Colour and Inspiration TuesdayPut your foot down, Finished or Not Finished Friday,

16 comments:

  1. Great quilting on your Tries to Play Nice with Others scrappy quilt!! And happy to hear you discovered Project Quilting--looking forward to seeing what you create as part of this year's Project Quilting challenges!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. I've already started having fun with Project Quilting. It's such a great challenge.

      Delete
  2. SEW many wonderful projects this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome work! All are so pretty. Happy wishes for 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...so productive! Love your art quilts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karin. I'm looking forward to making a few more art quilts this year!

      Delete
  5. All beautiful projects. I'm loving your Kingfisher flimsy, can't wait to see how you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, that is one of my favourites. It was such a pleasure to make. I hope that it will be as much fun quilting it!

      Delete
  6. You have so many beautiful projects this year. My favorites are Tries to Play Nice with Others and the garden and Pond Mini.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what beautiful finishes! Congrats on such a productive 2019 and thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, thank you - and thanks so much for hosting this great party!

      Delete
  8. I love love love your 2nd basket and 2nd book cover. They are more my colors of choice.All great projects though. Thank you again for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, I guess you like the neutrals the best. They are very rich and rather dignified :-) I just found a whole bunch of elastics to use for future journal covers so that should help a lot!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)