Sunday, April 24, 2016

More deadlines

I've often said in my blog that I don't like quilting under deadlines. Well, I still don't like it, even if I sometimes have to!

The first deadline was getting ready for the Fibre Fling 5 Show & Sale earlier this month. It was a huge success. The art was fabulous and I got everything done on time.












My two next deadlines are the Sew full of love quilt show with the Common Threads Quilt Guild (CTQG) from May 6 to 8 and the Art with Fabric Blog Hop (May 9th).

Sew full of love Quilt Show

Our guild's quilt show is every second year. It's always great to look back over the last two years to see what I've made and decide what to enter in the show. I've registered 5 quilts for this year's show. Thank goodness I've been productive. There's only one item in the show that I haven't completed yet.

Here's a glimpse of Floral Fantasy. My next post will be about the process of making this lovely lady.
Floral Fantasy - a wholecloth quilt
WIP (Work in progress) Floral Fantasy - a wholecloth quilt
I still need to finish beading it and then bind it. I'm actually going to block this one like we're supposed to. I hope it'll be worth it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Of course, after finishing the quilt comes the label and hanging sleeve. I know that 2 of the 5 quilts in the show are ready since they were in the Fibre Fling 5 show, but I suspect that I'll have to attach a sleeve and label on at least two of the other three.

Art with Fabric Blog Hop

I've been thinking about this project for a while now but only started choosing my fabrics as I was finalizing the pieces for Fibre Fling 5. I can't trust myself to start a new project before finishing something with a deadline. My middle name could be Procrastinate!

I don't want to spoil the surprise, but here's the background of the piece.

Background of the Art with Fabric Piece
Background of the Art with Fabric Piece
The project is based on a painting. Not a famous one - since I own it! It doesn't look like much now, but it's the foundation with lots more to come.
It would seem that I don't naturally notice details in paintings. Even if I've been looking at this lovely work since I was 18, I didn't realise how complex it was until I started really looking at it to plan this project. Not to give too much away but what I saw were the vivid colours and the mouvement. Although I won't be reproducing the painting, there is still a crazy amount of detail in it that I don't want to loose. It will be to find that "juste milieu" between detail and impression.

Since I'm on a deadline (Yikes!!!) I need to stop writing this blog (i.e. procrastinating) and finish piecing it tonight or tomorrow at the latest. I haven't decided how much thread sketching to do vs. quilting. I still have trouble with this part. I will have next weekend to thread paint, quilt and bind it since I need to have a photo of the finished product by May 2nd. 

What I learned:
  • Saying yes to projects with deadlines is easy when it's a few months into the future. Deadlines are not a bad thing - it's just that I don't really take them seriously unless they are looming! 
  • I'm looking forward to summer and being deadline-free, until I find something else to do!




2 comments:

  1. Hello Andrée,
    Floral fantasy is really lovely, especially with the beads adding a bit of sparkle! And yes, I am the same as you with deadlines. They don't really work unless you are in danger of missing them.
    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilting in Floral Fantasy is just gorgeous Andrée! I hope the blocking is worth it too. People say it makes a big difference in how the quilt hangs at a show.
    I'm very intrigued by your fiber art. Your art with fabric piece looks like fun!
    I'm the same way with deadlines as you are and have one loomking now too. Good luck meeting yours!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)