My first project was a lone tree, on rocks, with water and sky. It took a lot of adjusting before I liked the results. Here's what the first try looked like. See the details in the June Landscape - the Lone Tree post.
|The first try - "before"|
There wasn't enough contrast so that the tree was hidden. I ended up cutting around the tree and inserting a new sky that started lower. I think that it added the contrast that I was looking for.
I also added tulle over the sky. This gave me the opportunity to add more fabric and softening the sky.
I've been looking closely at the real sky for the last week or so and although the sky is full of different colours and textures, it's not in a straight line like my first attempt. I will definitely try making a sky with strips in one of my next landscape art quilts.
|Lone Tree - Final Landscape|
What I learned:
- I wasn't sure how to quilt this - so I waited. Last night, it just came together! I love it when that happens.
- It's great to be able to just change what I didn't like. There's usually parts that are fine; that are worth keeping and working around.
- The real sky doesn't follow straight lines - so I guess a strip sky shouldn't either.
- I am very happy with my first attempt.
- I want the next one to have brighter colours! I need reds and sparkles! (That's a hint for the next one :-) )
I've also linked up to Oh Scraps! since most of the fabrics used in this art quilt are scraps, as well as with MOP Monday and Needle and Thread Thursday with My Quilt Infatuation.
Don't forget to check out everyone else's goals and blogs.