|9-Patch Pizzazz by Judy Sisneros
I've put them aside to make something. When I looked at them, I realised that they all blended beautifully, but there was no contrast. What to make that would require blending fabrics and only a little contrast? A 9-Patch Pizzazz wall hanging of course!
I had seen a beautiful wall hanging at a local church quilt show and was told that the pattern was from the book, 9-Patch Pizzazz. Good thing it was easy to remember because I was able to find the book and buy it.
|FMQ around the dragonflies
Part of the charm of this pattern is the way that fabrics blend into each other. It also made taking photos difficult! There's just enough contrast in some of the 9 patch to give it a focal point.
I also loved using big pieces for a change. It didn't take long to put the quilt together.
|FMQ swirls and following the lines of the flowers
Determining the free motion quilting (FMQ) was a real pleasure.
- I used swirls for the swirly fabric;
- Quilted around the dragonflies;
- Added continuous leaves in the focal 9 patch; and
- Used the lines of the flowers in one fabric to create a star-burst effect.
It's finally stopped raining, so today was the perfect day for that outdoor picture of quilts I love so much. After all that rain, everything is green....and the mosquitoes were out with a vengeance. I spent as little time as I could out there. Mowing the lawn will take care of that on the weekend!
|9-Patch Pizzazz with my neighbor's lovely clematis
- It's nice to make something that you can put together fairly quickly. Projects don't always have to be complicated to be lovely.
- I really love the blended effect in some of the 9 patch. It gives the piece an impressionist feel.
- The contrasting 9 patch give the piece contrast, movement and a focal point.
- The large dragonfly fabric is my favourite - even if it's technically a bug!
- Choosing the different FMQ motifs for the various blocks was a lot of fun. I love letting the fabrics inspire the design.
- I'm looking forward to making many more 9-Patch Pizzazz quilts!