Friday, January 24, 2014

Cute Paper Pieced Quilt Labels

As you may know, I'm totally addicted to paper piecing. In one of the new ebooks I bought from Martingale, Showstopping Quilts to Foundation Piece By Judy Pollard and Tricia Lund, I learned to make lovely paper pieced labels for my quilts.

I used the lovely three inch patterns that came with Carol Doak's Mastering Foundation Paper Piecing on Craftsy. These are easy and perfect to add a border to, as well as a space for writing on the label.
paper pieced tree label
Tree label

Winter vacancy wall hanging
Winter Vacancy
This first label is for Winter Vacancy. This is actually the second paper pieced tree I made. I had high hopes for the first one but it really didn't come out well. I used the same fabrics for the tree but used the blue of the border of Winter Vacancy for the triangles above the tree.  It should have looked awesome but it didn't! Both sets of fabrics were the same value - so they sort of merged together. I guess I proved the usefulness of that design element - contrast!

wreath wall hanging
Wreath wall hanging
paper pieced star label
Star label
This next label is stunning, if I may say so! That contrast principle does work! The contrast between the star and the blue fabric is really great and makes the star pop.

This label will be attached to the Wreath Wall Hanging. I'm just waiting to pick up a Pigma pen - it does a great job for writing on fabric.










What I learned:
  • Contrast is important!
  • Labels are important, almost as much as planning your project :-) I guess that's why I usually forget them! I used to do the same thing when I wrote essays for school - I just dove in and ignored the introduction and conclusion! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm a 'diver-in' too! These labels are lovely, and perfect to make one stop and contemplate the perfect 'ending'. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)