Let's party with quilts this year! Twice a month this year I will preview some of the great patterns and events celebrating Canada's 150th,
Canada 150 pattern by
|Canadian Beaver Block - designed by Sew Fresh Quilts|
We are also in for a special treat as Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts is donating one of her quilt patterns to the lucky winner of the April link-up. Thanks so more Lorna!
Here's one of Lorna's patterns that I just completed - the Canadian Beaver Block. It was a joy to sew and quilt (and believe me when I say that I don't find joy in piecing very often!) Thanks Lorna for this wonderful project :-)
What else is happening in the quilting world to celebrate Canada's 150?
|Linda Hutchinson's quilt at QuiltCon|
Canadian quilts at QuiltCon, Savannah
Did anyone get to QuiltCon in Savannah this year? As I've been reading blogs and magazines about the event, I sure wish I had the chance to attend. It sounds wonderful! Lisa from Sunlight in Winter Quilts posted a few pictures of fellow Canadian quilters' work. Here is an original piece by Linda Hutchinson of the Toronto Modern Guild. The quilt is hand quilted - and with luck we'll see it at Quilt Canada in Toronto this June.
Wonda's Designs - This is Canada
I haven't seen this design anywhere yet. The quilt is made up of 12 panels which can be bought in packages of 3. They can make a lovely quilt or wall hangings. See the link to Wonda's Desings in Related Links at the bottom of the post.
All Around Canada Block Pattern by Along Came Quilting Store in Calgary
This lovely 18" quilt block is the store's block pattern for the Northcott Trans-Canada Block Party. If you're in Calgary this summer, you can pick up the pattern or kit at the store. Otherwise, you'll be able to order it after September 1st.
My husband is going to Calgary in May, so I have a month to figure out how to convince him to pick up this beauty for me!
|All Around Canada Block Pattern by |
Along Came Quilting Store in Calgary
This is the official logo of Canada 150. Here's a free paper pieced pattern from SeaSew by Dana Szucs Hayden.
Canadian Critters Series Designed by A Quilter's Home
|Celebrating with the Canadian Critters Series|
After seeing this little Canadian Critter - I'm doomed. Celebrating Canada's 150 is definitely going to cost me a small fortune :-)
How can you resits? I'm not sure, since the other 2 critters are just as cute, and it's only March! You can purchase these kits individually or as a Block of the Month... one for each month of the year!!!
Celebrating Canada's 150 Events
I don't think that I can stand any more amazing quilts and blocks right now, so here are some websites to find out what is happening around your area (or places you will visit) this year. The links are all below, in the Related Links section.
|Free Parks Canada|
Canada's 150 Site
The Government of Canada has an internet site and an app to help you find events celebrating this special year.
Quilt Shows and Events page at the Canadian Quilting Association Website
Spring brings with it the beginning of quilt shows around the country. I suspect that every show will have something to celebrate Canada's 150th. Check out what shows are coming in your area. Enjoy!
What I learned:
- Although I usually attend only one quilt show a year, I know that this year will be different. Although I can't travel across the country to give you accounts of all of these quilting events, I hope that you will link up if you have a post of any of these shows with their Canada 150 exhibits.
- Aren't these quilt patterns wonderful? I'm not sure how I'm going to resist getting many more of these special designs.
- With everything that's going on, I posted my April objectives with my March Finishes. That's not how it works. So please bear with me as I repeat my April goals.
|England Souvenir - to be quilted & embellished|
- My OMG is to quilt and embellish the England souvenir from the World Quilting Travel Adventure and hang it up in my kitchen;
- Make more slab blocks, and if I’m really productive, finish a small quilt top for Canada's Big Quilt Bee;
- Work on and hopefully complete my Art with Fabric project. I'll be posting on the first day - May 15th! No pressure :-)
- Celebrate - Fêtons 150 in March (March 1, 2017)
- More Celebrations the Quilty Way (March 13, 2017)
- Sew Fresh Quilts blog
- Sew Fresh Quilts patterns
- Sunlight in Winter Quilts - Wow! (March 3, 2017)
- Wonda's Designs - This is Canada (go to the fourth row on the page)
- All Around Canada Block Pattern - Along Came Quilting
- SeaSew's Canada 150 Paper Pieced Logo
- Canadian Critters Series Designed by A Quilter's Home
- Free Parks Canada Discovery Pass
- Canada's 150 Site
- Quilt Shows & Events - Canadian Quilting Association
Linking Parties: I am linking my OMG at Elm Street Quilts. See what everyone else is making this month. I am also linking to the following Link-Ups: Can I get a Whoop Whoop? Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, MOP Monday, Monday Making, Main Crush Monday, Moving it Forward Monday, Linky Tuesday, Let's Bee Social, Off the Wall Friday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop?, Finish or Not Friday,