Thursday, August 29, 2024

International Dog Day and Free Motion Mavericks

Hi and welcome! Monday was International Dog Day and Susan is holding her annual party. I've been making scrappy mats and since I'm addicted, I thought that I'd make a mat to fit under Poppy's water bowl so that she could appreciate it when she visits. 😁 

Scrappy Mat for Poppy


I was out of town (more about that in a special post) so I didn't have time to free motion quilt (FMQ) the mat yet. Since I watched many of the videos last week from the FMQ Summit, I want my scrappy mats to be quilting in designs that I learned during the summit. I've been practicing one of the designs by drawing it but it's taken quite a few pages to get it right! Hopefully I'll have my scrappy mats quilted for you soon!

Front of the scrappy Poppy mat 🐕

Back of the scrappy Poppy mat 🐶

Poppy hasn't visited since I made the mat, so there's no picture of Poppy with the mat, but I do have lots of Poppy pictures! If you're wondering, Poppy is my son and his fiancé's dog.

Poppy really wanting a treat 😀

Poppy chilling in the sun in my back yard

Poppy's coy look 😍

Poppy with her Rocky Raccoon toy!

Poppy's water bowl (made by my daughter) on her new mat

Poppy's water bowl on the back side of the mat

Here is the other scrappy improv mat that I made last week. Once more I used an orphan block and just added fun fabric to finish it off. It's finished off pillowcase style and is now ready to FMQ.

A second scrappy improv mat ready for FMQ


What I learned
  • I checked to see if Canada was also celebrating National Dog Day and it turns out that it's an international celebration, so Happy International Dog Day (on August 26!) Hope you had a chance to hug your/a dog!😊
  • I've had a great time making scrappy improv mats. I used the lovely fat quarter paw print fabric as well as other scraps, including the centre piece which is from a panel. I know that I have many other doggy fabric scraps....but I'm not sure where they are! When I stumble upon them, I'll put them where they now belong. 🐕
  • I used the pillowcase method to finish both mats. It's such an easy finish and once it's stitched ⅛" from the edge and the opening is closed, there's nothing left to do but FMQ.
  • I'm thrilled to say that I remembered my lesson learned for doing a pillowcase finish - what ever is facing the front will be the back! 
  • I also learned a valuable lesson when I made my first half-square triangle block! I thought that I was doing so well not having to look up how to make them....well, if you check out the front of Poppy's mat, you'll see at there are two half-square triangle blocks. The one on top was made first, and it has a half-square triangle block made up of the same fabric 😁! The second block, with two different fabrics, was made after I remembered to use two different fabrics! 
  • So the lesson is: use two different fabrics facing each other to make half-square triangle blocks. I'm sure that you don't need the reminder so this is for me!
Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties, including Susan's National Dog Day 2024. Why not check them out...and remember to link up below! Monday Musings, Design Wall Monday, Sew & Tell, Put your foot down, Needle & Thread ThursdayOff The Wall Friday, Beauties Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts, 15 Minutes to Stitch 2024, Oh Scrap!,



Free Motion Mavericks


Welcome to week 496 of Free Motion Mavericks! Wow! What a productive week! It's a long featured section but well worth it! Thanks for linking up. Here are the projects from last week that included FMQ, ruler work or walking foot quilting. 

Frédérique of Quilting Patchwork Appliqué made another of her lovely baby quilts - Baby Quilt Floralies - to donate. I really love this pattern and just might have to make one too! Frédérique quilted-in-the-ditch around the blocks and border and then quilted straight lines in the outside border. She also made her quilt gender-neutral by using both blue and pink for her binding.

Frédérique's Baby Quilt Floralies


Frédérique quilted the outside border - very effective!

I think that Gail of Quilting Gail had lots of fun making these two Elephant quilts for the It's a Jungle Blog Hop! They are so cute. All the quilting was FMQ with echoing the elephant shapes and stippling the elephants themselves. 

Gail's two elephant quilts

Margo Young of MY Quilts and Crafts made a really striking wall hanging using a new alphabet pattern. You'll have to check out her post to learn more! Margo used straight line quilting to finish it off.

Margo's alphabet quilt

Deb the Scrappy Quilter had a very productive week finishing up quilts and picking cherries! The string quilt is the twin of the peak that we had last week of her finished quilt. The blocks were quilting with a large zig-zag design. 

Deb's string blocks quilted with a large zig-zag design

Deb's string quilt looks like jewels set in the quilt!

Deb's yellow Irish Chain scrappy quilt

Preeti of Sew Preeti has shared her Blush Quilt which she made in the 2024 Pantone Colour. Preeti loves to play with colour values and it shows! What lovely gradation of peach!

Preeti's lovely Blush Quilt

Last week Melva was able to reveal her 50th Anniversary Quilt. It's lovely and was obviously greatly appreciated. What a great idea to have messages on the quilt of the couple's siblings. 

Melva's message and signature 50th Anniversary Quilt

Anne-Marie of Stories from the Quilting Room custom quilted a customer's Looper Quilt. Since it was to enter in a show, Anne-Marie went all out! It's another Wow quilt!  She used individual FMQ motifs for the coloured strip sections and then went all out in the background!

Anne-Marie's custom quilted client quilt

Anne-Marie's custom quilted graffiti-style FMQ

Carla of Hawk Studios is working hard to get those deadlines done, and it includes lots of FMQ! She's been FMQ this quilt to enter it into the fall show. I know that she had lots of fun FMQ among the flowers 😊 

Carla FMQ among the flowers

Carla FMQ in the sashing

Sally of Crafts, Cavies and Cooking has just finished a lovely quilted jacket that she made using a sweatshirt. Sally will be entering it into her local fair. She used two different sets of fabric and it looks great!

Sally's quilted jacket made with a sweatshirt

The inside of Sally's jacket - check out the quilting
and the amazing finish!

I hope that you've been inspired by all of this eye-candy. It makes me want to play with FMQ!😍 It's now your turn.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

  1. Fun mat for Poppy and fun photos of her and her demure look! I always enjoy the national dog day link party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Not only are you providing a useful mat, but you also get to practice quilting - a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poppy is adorable! I hope she had a fun National Dog Day!! The mats are great! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely mat you've made for Poppy. Our dog is called Poppy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very fun doggie bowl mat. Hopefully Poppy will visit soon and she'll get to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever of you. I love Poppy. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One more thing, did you use something to inside the mats to keep the spilled water on top instead of soaking through?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh je ne savais pas que c'était une fête internationale ! C'est une bonne idée, et surtout j'aime ton idée ! Le tapis est adorable, et pratique ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)