Thursday, August 24, 2023

More Hexie Fun on Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome to week 444 of the Free Motion Mavericks link up. Thanks for visiting and linking up last time. I went on a short family vacation but I did bring my hexies with me since it's #100hexies100days2023 challenge. This all takes place on Instagram with weekly themes.  Usually I make one hexie flower per week but my Scrappy Hexie Blanket is getting big and I would love to finish it this year, so I'm making more than one hexie flower per week.

Week 3: Notions and a Safari


The theme for week 3 was notions. I took out the few fabrics that I have with a sewing theme and found one with a knitting theme. They made for great hexies.

Notions among the wildlife 

A ladybug on my notion 😊

Driving through the African Lion Safari in Cambridge, we saw lots of wildlife. Are we observing the animals or are we the strange beings in the moving cages being observed?

Posing for us?

Majestic giraffes 

Hippo taking a refreshing mud bath


Week 4: Flower Power


Flowers are easy to find in my stash. I got a little carried away making many hexie flowers.

Hexies, a poster and lovely tats!

Flower Power on a bench in Stratford ON

Hexie flowers back at home

I believe that flowers are music for our other senses. That's why I included the music hexie in the centre.

Flowers - music for our other senses

So many flowers 😊

Amanda McCavour's Wanderings and Traces!


While in Cambridge, we took the opportunity to visit one location of Amanda McCavour's exhibition, Wanderings and Traces. I love her work and have taken two workshops with her. She creates mostly with free motion quilting (FMQ) on water soluble textile (like Solvy) to make two and three dimensional art. 

This is an amazing installation. I can't imagine making that many of anything!

Pink Field Blue Bog

Details of Sample Wall

Amanda's Sample Wall 

Cloud of Colour hanging from the rafters

What I learned
  • Bringing an easy and versatile English paper piecing (EPP) project is great for travelling. I'm lucky that I can stitch in the car. I really got lots done on my hexies.
  • I often want to visit an art exhibition when I travel, but end up not doing it because it's difficult to find or I'm too tired. My daughter helped me plan this so that we visited the exhibit first, then had lunch and onto the African Lion Safari, all around Cambridge ON. 
  • I've been enjoying the cooler weather and stitching outside as much as possible. I finally mowed what passes for the lawn in my back yard - it's a little less wild, but it'll grow back 😎
  • Great news - I've added about half of the fusible interfacing to the back of the t-shirts for my niece's quilt. By the end of the weekend, I should be planning the layout of the t-shirt quilt. Finally!

Related links

Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Let's see what's going on out there! Design Wall Monday, Sew & Tell, Put your foot down, Off The Wall Friday, Finished (or Not) Friday, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Peacock Party, Patchwork & Quilts, Slow Sunday Stitching, Oh Scrap!, 15 Minutes to Stitch 2023

Free Motion Mavericks


Thank you so much for linking up while I was gone. You are working on some wonderful projects!

For Island Batik's Challenge, It's All Up To You, Gail made herself a housecoat. Wow! She deconstructed a silk robe and made the housecoat using her stash of Island Batik fabric and silk batting.


The front of Gail's housecoat

The back of Gail's housecoat

I'm sorry, I missed DonnaLee's lovely toppers. What a great way to use up Christmas and other scraps!

One of DonnaLee's table toppers



It's now your turn.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great trip. I enjoyed seeing the animals and your hexies on display and Amanda McCavour's exhibition looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, it was a lot of fun. I'm so happy that I got to see Amanda's exhibition. I can't imagine spending that much time on one project!

      Delete
  2. Wow, there's an African Safari in Canada?!! Never knew it! It's going on my bucket list! Love the travel quilt projects and inspiring exhibits you visited, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. The African Safari was great and it's a wonderful place to bring grandkids! They have so much to entertain them. Hope you make it there one day.

      Delete
  3. What a great post! I enjoyed it so much...yes to always learning something new. I've just downloaded a hexie pattern to get back to slow stitching with what I love. People are so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn. I seem to be a compulsive learner. It's what keeps life interesting. I'm going to try EPP with a few more shapes. I hope that it'll work out well. I'm sure to post about it eventually.

      Delete
  4. Tes hexies sont adorables, et les thèmes sont sympas ! Impressionnants, ces animaux, une belle exploration. Merci pour le partage de tout cela, et de l'expo d'Amanda McCavour, son mur sampler est incroyable, quelle finesse !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci bien Frédérique. Nous avons eu un beau voyage assez tranquil. Je suis très heureuse que je peux travailler sur mes hexies dans l'auto - le temps passe beaucoup plus vite!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a fun mini vacation. Amanda's displays are really amazing. You've got some fun hexies finished. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate. It was a great mini vacation - they are often my favourites since they are low key. I'm so grateful that we travel well together!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)