Saturday, August 20, 2016

Back on Track

My sewing machine is back and I'm on a role! I've spent a good part of my week on holidays quilting. I had really missed doing free motion quilting (FMQ). The good news - my girlfriend's baby quilt is done, only a year later!

Here are some pictures to remind you of the project. It's a Row House Creations pattern called Fox in a Box. You can read more about it in this June post.
At the very beginning, cutting the fabric
Chevy overseeing the project
All the Appliqué is done
This is where I left off at the end of June. The quilting didn't get done as quickly as I expected since I had to take my sewing machine in for a tune up. 

The first thing I worked on when I got my machine back was William's quilt. As much as I didn't really enjoy making it (nothing to do with the pattern, just my preferences), it really is a lovely quilt.

Fox in a Box
Here's where I started having fun!
Race car 
This first FMQ design is the race car. Follow the links under the images to Lori Kennedy's tutorials.
Baby Bird with a variation of Modern Leaf  
In the empty square, I FMQ Lori's baby bird with some branches and fruit.















Kite, an apple with a worm and a house


The tree is FMQ. At the top there is a kite and a flower; at the bottom, an apple with a worm and a house.











The back of the tree block


Here is what the same tree block looks like in the back!
Quilted, washed and ready to go!

What I learned:
  • The best part of the project was the FMQ I did once I finished stitching-in-the-ditch. I had a blast quilting interesting designs that would appeal to a child. There is a bird, sail boats, a fish, an apple with a worm, a sun, a kite, a car and a couple of flowers. 
  • Many of the designs are based on The Inbox Jaunt's Free Motion Quilt Tutorials by Lori Kennedy. Thanks Lori!
  • Although I have three large quilts to make with deadlines in the next three months, I`m going to have to make time to play with FMQ. 
I have linked to the following Linky Parties. See what others are working on!
Can I get a Whoop Whoop?  Off the Wall Friday, MOP Monday, Fabric Frenzy Friday, Monday Making, Main Crush Monday, Fabric Tuesday, Linky Tuesday, Free Motion Maverick.

What a treat - this post was featured on Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story! Have a peak...



9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! That's a lucky child who'll get the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great quilt! The perfect mix of piecing, applique and interesting FMQ! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so cute, I would be very sad at letting it go. Wonderful job and I love the quilting. Congrats on the adorable finish. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An adorable quilt! I've enjoyed trying out Lori's designs too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FMQing is so fun and it looks like you had a great time stitching this quilt. Any child will love those designs you added. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Oh this is a cute quilt! I love foxes and these are super fun! Also the tree is great! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. The final finish is adorable! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Andrée,

    Such a sweet little quilt! The racing car and baby birds are a lovely touch.

    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)