Wednesday, August 22, 2018

100 days of fun with hexies

I am participating in the 100 hexies in 100 days event (#100hexies100days2018) which began August 6, 2018. It's hosted by Sew Foxy Mama (sewfoxymama) and takes place on Instagram. I'm new at Instragram. Events like this are a lot of fun because I can just go to the event tag and look at everyone's posts.

Each week has a different theme. The hexies can be made with fabric following the theme, or the images can be shot in surroundings that illustrate the theme. It's been so much fun seeing all of the yummy fabric and great ideas for pictures.

We can post one hexie each day, or the 7 hexies together on one of the days of that week. I post once a week because I'm sure that I would forget to post every day.

Week 1: All about you

It was great to read everyone's posts and see their images. I had a crazy week (aren't they all?!) and so I used images of hexies that I had already.

Since I'm crazy about hexies, this is my stash box of already finished 3/4" hexies. You know you're addicted to something (hexies, fabric, colour or all of the above) when this image makes your heart flutter 😊
Stash box of hexies
I also included pictures of the Kingfisher Stitch-Along hexies that I had just finished, with flowers from by backyard jungle.
Aren't these tall rudbeckia amazing?

Pretty pinkish purple Echinacea - so lovely
Week 2 - Summer Fun

This was an easy week since my scrap bag had lots of fabric depicting summer fun. I even put in some golf clubs for my husband since he loves his golf.

I took the pictures on top of the first door hanging I made. I have one for each season, and this one is for summer.
Summer fun hexies with my Summer Door Hanging

Summer fun close-up
Week 3 - Mythical 

This week's theme was interpreted rather loosely since I don't have much mythical fabrics. I did have a few fabrics with fairies, angels, mermaids and the frog prince. It's a bit of a stretch, but Cupid is there, represented by one of his arrows.

I took out my plush Bing Bong (from the movie Inside Out) and one of my daughter's figurines. I confess that I didn't know the name of the plush, or the movie (which I did see and liked) - thank goodness for Google! Bing Bong sits by my sewing machine and is my Muse, reminding me to believe in myself and my imagination.

Week 3 - Mythical

Close up of a fairy, angel, mermaid, Cupid's arrow and the frog prince
Update - Upcoming Blog Hop
Welcome To My House

I can't believe that I forgot to mention this - I will be taking part in the Welcome To My House Blog Hop on September 13, 2018. I'll remind you when the fun starts.

I started my house quilt last week. I'm having too much fun again, playing with lots of colourful fabrics! 😊 
See you on September 13, 2018 
What I learned
  • I've been having a good time looking at images of each week's theme. I don't spend a lot of time on Instagram but I do like looking at images that are pretty and quilting related :-)
  • Since making these hexies, I've started sewing them together in flower shapes. I'm sewing all of the flowers without hexies between them so they won't look like flowers once the're all sewn up. This is going to be a purely scrappy project for when I want or need something mindless to do. No thinking allowed!!!!
  • As much fun as it is following everyone's progress on Instagram, it would be nice to have a blog component to this event. I really like reading about quilter's journeys, their choices and their work.

Related Links

Linking Parties
I will be linking this post to all kinds of great linky parties. Follow along to see what the fuss is about :-) Linky Tuesday, Colour Inspiration Tuesday, Let's Bee Social, Midweek Makers, Silly Mama Quilts WIP, Needle & Thread ThursdayFinished or Not FridayCan I Get A Whoop Whoop?Friday Foto Fun, Wandering Camera, Oh Scrap!, Monday Making, Main Crush Monday, Design Wall Monday, Moving It Forward Monday, Slow Sunday Stitching,


14 comments:

  1. your hexies are coming along nicely!

    thanks so much for linking up!

    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke, it will be fun to see all of them stitched together.

      Delete
  2. You are having way too much fun with these hexies! I enjoy seeing them with flowers, and of course, fussy cut too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I can't just put hexies together - I have to make something. I'm glad that it's going to be low fuss :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Merci Frederique. This week's is more difficult because it's 30's fabric. Not even sure I have any, but I had better start looking :-)

      Delete
  4. More great hexies and great explanations of how each theme has played out in your hands. I do like to hear the thoughts behind everyone's work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dione, I also enjoy reading about the thought process and what worked or not - that is after looking at pictures of pretty quilts or fabric :-)

      Delete
  5. So many hexies!! I love the what you pulled for the themes! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. I'm running behind but still have 2 days to find some 30's fabric in my stash. If I have any, it's all by accident!

      Delete
  6. These are so wonderful and made me smile too. Love the hexie flowers blooming in the plants. That is an adorable elephant :)

    Thank you for linking up on Wandering Camera.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Soma. I'm glad that my post made you smile. That's always a great reaction :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh, how fabulously filled with fun! Love, love, love hexies!! Your photos have put a smile into my day...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, you sound like a fellow addict :-) Nothing better than hexies, colour and smiles!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)