Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Blogger's Quilt Festival
The Blogger's Quilt Festival is on now and hosted by Amy's Creative Side. I learned about this blogging event last year. I'm very happy to be participating in it today.

If you're a blogger and not familiar with the event, go to Amy's Creative Side and check it out! (see Related Links below),

We get to submit up to two separate entries, in posts for quilts that we made in the last year. It's not an easy choice to make but for my first entry I chose my Sweet Memories: Northern Lights art quilt.



Sweet Memories: Northern Lights
Sweet Memories: Northern Lights is my first entry because:
  • It's got hexies (and I'm now very much addicted, due to this project)!
  • It's an original design although based on JoJo's World Quilting Travel Adventure as the project for Canada (my home and native land!)
  • I got to work with hand-dyed cheese cloth and batik fabrics (which I love).
  • This project was featured on my 150th post and 5 year blogging anniversary! 
  • It reminds me of my mother, whose absence hits me hard every once in a while (I guess when I'm in need of my mother).
Sweet Memories: Northern Lights
What I've learned since then:
  • The original finished post is dated March 6, 2017. It's only been less than 7 months but in some ways it feels like years ago. I've produced so many quilts since then and it's all a little bit of a blur. 
  • I never thought that this first hexie project would be the first of many. Given my present obsession, who knows where this little project will lead me to. I do know that I want to make more art quilt featuring these beauties.
  • I love the northern lights and added them to my Canada 150 art quilt. I've been studying how other textile artists have made them and I hope to eventually make more art quilts featuring the northern lights. They are the perfect subject - magical and colourful. What not to love?
  • I've also dyed my own cheese cloth this summer. One of them is my favourite hand-dyed piece. The vibrant colours look good enough to eat :-) 
    JoJo's World Quilting Travel Adventure
Related Links
Posts featuring Sweet Memories: Northern Lights
Linking parties: I'll be linking this post to the Blogger's Quilt Festival. Have a look at all the amazing quilts! Finished or Not FridayNeedle & Thread Thursday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop?, Oh Scrap!, Slow Sunday Stitching

14 comments:

  1. As soon as I read the title of your quilt it made sense to me. The colours had me imagining the lights in my mind. Your quilt is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the pattern the other day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andree,
    I can certainly see the Northern Lights in your quilt - big time! {{Hugs}} for missing your mom. It seems that never passes, but maybe lessens just a bit over time. I don't know - sometimes it hits me really hard, too. :( Congrats on 5 years and 150th post. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roseanne, thanks so much for the virtual hugs :-) Here's right back at you!!!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Loved seeing it on the wall. Perfect location for it and perfect name for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. The piece happens to be in front of her furniture :-)

      Delete
  5. Sweet Memories: Northern Lights is beautiful! It really does evoke the pictures of the Northern Lights I've seen. Maybe one of these days I'll actually get to go and see them in person. Happy sewing! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really hope that you get to see them in person. They really are spectacular!

      Delete
  6. Your Sweet Memories: Northern Lights looks great on the wall, its a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Deb. It was a lot of fun to make and I'm glad that I found the perfect spot for it.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful spot of color in your room!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, especially around those dark taupe walls. It really needs any colour it can get.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)