Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A little Christmas Quilting

Perfect project to practice my free motion quilting 
I haven't done any specific Christmas quilting this year, but when I found this (it must have popped out of the stash!) I knew that it would be a great little free motion quilting (FMQ) practicing opportunity.

It's a hot pad with a poinsettia fabric top and a red pre-quilted backing. This project has been hanging around for about 10 years - since I inherited my Mother's quilting stash. She had sewn the front and back together but hadn't sewn the opening yet.

I must say that I had no idea what to do with it, until this year. I just knew that FMQ it would be the right thing to do.

FMQ poinsettia petals
I was going to use different coloured thread, but finally just used a silver Kimono silk thread on top and a Superior Bottom Line thread in the bobbin. After going around all of the poinsettia petals and the middle seeds, it was obvious that it was done.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Thanks Mom for starting it. I'm glad that I could do something lovely with it :-)

What I learned:

  • Don't give up on UFO's that you don't know what to do with. One day the perfect technique will come up.
  • I followed some of my own advice (7 Ways to Survive the Holidays). I spent boxing day reading and playing with fabric. This is one of the results of the day. It was lovely!
  • I also pampered myself this morning by sleeping in and then buying fabric on sale...but we don't need to go into details. :-)
In case I don't post a blog before January 1st, Happy New Year! Wishing you all the best in 2017!

I'm participating in the following Linky parties. Check them out if you have the time: Monday Making, Main Crush Monday, Linky Tuesday, Let's Bee Social, Needle and Thread Thursday, Midweek Maker, Fabric Frenzy Friday, Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday 


8 comments:

  1. Your FMQ is beautiful! Have a happy and healthy New Year!-Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn. I hope 2017 brings you happiness and health also!

      Delete
  2. Lovely little project. Are you really going to use it as a potholder? I think it is to pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie. Thanks. I'm really glad I found it and knew what to do with it. I gave it to my brother - I'm not sure what he'll use it for.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty! Have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, and good words of wisdom too! Thanks for sharing on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I find that wisdom is easy to come by in hindsight. The trick is to remember these when you're right in the middle of life!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)